Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New and need help diagnosing my '08 rxtx

Ok, bought the '08 rxtx in april. Been using the slow key keeping it around 35 max. It had 6 hours on it and today I took it to the lake with the normal key. Rode like 2 hours, everything fine, was alittle too choppy to do any real speed runs but like at 5 PM it calmed down. So I found a cove with glass water and gassed it. All it would do is 6700 rpm and about 57 on the dream meter! WTF?

I checked the pump nothing in it. Out of the hole it runs great, tach's about 6300, jumps up on plane, hit's 6700 and won't budge! WTF?

Ideas.

Going to take it back to the stealer on Tuesday. I'll call them tomorrow.

I hate things that don't work! SearayEX12's Avatar
    To ideas, one is your key set to the rental speed limit. Also you should not have used the learner key to break it in. Don't know what would limit the rpm so much. Some one should chime in.

+1
    check your hoses I think one from the SC has come off

I'll check it now, it's in the garage.

Nope, all the hoses look fine. Probably the key then.

As for breaking them in, well maybe I screwed up, but I'm new to ski's, and I never heard a definitive answer for breaking in a ski on this forum. It had 6+ hours on it, now it has 8+ hours and as for boost I ran both my turbo V8 motors for awhile before getting anything over 5lb of boost on it. But IMO that isn't going to limit a motor to 6700 when it should be seeing 8100 pinned. Something is wrong here, perhaps the key.

I didn't pay all this $$$$ for a 55mph ski, I can tell you that for sure. It will be fixed whether the stealer fixes it or I do or someone else does. That is a fact.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    I am going to say it may increase some but due to a crappy breakin you will have a slower ski with a weak motor. As far as definitive answer everyone that has chimed in with the "ride it like you stole it" breakin including Jerry Gaddis has always had a strong ski. There are dozen of threads that say break it in hard. Why anyone would ever use the learner key for breakin is beyond me. Show me one piece of literature from BRP that says use the slow key for breakin and I'll eat it.

Have the dealership do a compression and leak down test on the cylinders. Bet it will be low.
    Last edited by NCHeel; 05-05-2008 at 12:02 AM.

Dealership

I am also new to owning a waverunner. I purchased an RXP-X about a month ago. The owner of the dealership told me to use the learning key for the 10 hour break-in period. I had read the owners manual before I picked up the machine and knew that it didn't say to use either key. So I decided to do what he told me. For the first hour I used the learning key and went really easy. After an hour I decided to use the regular key for a short time. Then for the next hour I did the same thing. I'm glad I found this website. It has been very helpful. For the last couple of hours I used the normal key and rode a bit harder with out ever going full throttle. I have 4 hours on the machine now. It seems to be running like it should be. I hope I haven't lost anything by following the dealerships advise. I am amazed by my new machine. Can't wait for warmer weather!!

Just this Sat. while out riding the river there was a guy on a new Wake. So I stoped where he was to chit chat about the ski. He said he had about 2 hours on it and was still using the Learning key to break it in for the first ten hours. He also said that the dealer told him to use the L- Key for the first ten hour break in. After sharing some info with him about the breaking in period and what needs to be done and going up and down the rpm range and ect..... he changed keys. Ten hours breaking in on the learning key is what alot of dealers are telling people

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_hunt View Post
    Ok, bought the '08 rxtx in april. Been using the slow key keeping it around 35 max. It had 6 hours on it and today I took it to the lake with the normal key. Rode like 2 hours, everything fine, was alittle too choppy to do any real speed runs but like at 5 PM it calmed down. So I found a cove with glass water and gassed it. All it would do is 6700 rpm and about 57 on the dream meter! WTF?

I checked the pump nothing in it. Out of the hole it runs great, tach's about 6300, jumps up on plane, hit's 6700 and won't budge! WTF?

Ideas.

Going to take it back to the stealer on Tuesday. I'll call them tomorrow.

Dr hunt, my advice would be to start the ski out of the water let her warm up, then open the throttle all the way. If the revs reach 6700 and it seems to be on a rev limiter, as sum1 has already suggested it could be that the wrong key was programmed. Otherwise it sounds like a supercharger issue.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    I am going to say it may increase some but due to a crappy breakin you will have a slower ski with a weak motor. As far as definitive answer everyone that has chimed in with the "ride it like you stole it" breakin including Jerry Gaddis has always had a strong ski. There are dozen of threads that say break it in hard. Why anyone would ever use the learner key for breakin is beyond me. Show me one piece of literature from BRP that says use the slow key for breakin and I'll eat it.

Have the dealership do a compression and leak down test on the cylinders. Bet it will be low.
    +1 why do dumb arse dealers recommend breaking in with a learning key its all about compression and sorry if you disagree but you have fuc.ked your engine by running it in like a girl. sorry bit to harsh. to get a good compression you HAVE to get it to high rpm some times at least. you only have around 20 mins to do so as the rings have a time period to seat in. every engine i ever ran in softly always had a for sale sign on it too soon, but when i gave a new engine a NICE work out when fresh it had wicked compression tests. just let the oil warm up and fluctuate the rpms for a few hours then go for it IMO.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information