Boy's Foot Severed In Personal Watercraft Accident

Happened Near Bear Cut On Biscayne Bay

MIAMI (CBS4) ― A 10-year-old and uncle were rushed to the Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital after a personal watercraft accident near Bear Cut on Biscayne Bay.

Investigators say the accident, which occurred early Sunday afternoon, involved a man and woman on a personal watercraft that collided with a second personal watercraft driven by the man who had his young nephew, Ruben Encarncacion Jr. onboard. The impact sent both flying into the water.
    A good Samaritan, Sandra Herrera, and her husband rescued them and called for help. Herrera applied pressure to the young boy's leg.
    "I was terrified when I saw the kid's wound," said Herrera. "It was incredible and the blood gushing everywhere. I basically put a towel and applied as much pressure as I could to stop the bleeding"
    The driver of the personal watercraft suffered a broken leg and was transferred to a waiting ambulance. The 10-year-old boy, who suffered a severed foot, was airlifted by the Coast Guard Dolphin helicopter crew to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami. According to Fish and Wildlife officers, the boy will have to lose his right leg from the knee down.

After the accident, the man and woman reportedly took off.
    "I don't understand how you could see that and there's a kid and not stop and help," explained Herrera.
    Miami Dade Fire Rescue, Miami and the U.S. Coast Guard are all involved in the accident investigation which is being led by officials from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Bear Cut is a channel that separates the northern tip of Key Biscayne from Virginia Key, and the Atlantic Ocean from Biscayne Bay.

I think this really sucks

we need to be more carefull out there 5/04/08

Quote Originally Posted by maguyver View Post

Happened Near Bear Cut On Biscayne Bay

MIAMI (CBS4) ― A 10-year-old and uncle were rushed to the Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital after a personal watercraft accident near Bear Cut on Biscayne Bay.

Investigators say the accident, which occurred early Sunday afternoon, involved a man and woman on a personal watercraft that collided with a second personal watercraft driven by the man who had his young nephew, Ruben Encarncacion Jr. onboard. The impact sent both flying into the water.
    A good Samaritan, Sandra Herrera, and her husband rescued them and called for help. Herrera applied pressure to the young boy's leg.
    "I was terrified when I saw the kid's wound," said Herrera. "It was incredible and the blood gushing everywhere. I basically put a towel and applied as much pressure as I could to stop the bleeding"
    The driver of the personal watercraft suffered a broken leg and was transferred to a waiting ambulance. The 10-year-old boy, who suffered a severed foot, was airlifted by the Coast Guard Dolphin helicopter crew to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami. According to Fish and Wildlife officers, the boy will have to lose his right leg from the knee down.

"I don't understand how you could see that and there's a kid and not stop and help," explained Herrera.
    Miami Dade Fire Rescue, Miami and the U.S. Coast Guard are all involved in the accident investigation which is being led by officials from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Bear Cut is a channel that separates the northern tip of Key Biscayne from Virginia Key, and the Atlantic Ocean from Biscayne Bay.

I think this really sucks

we need to be more carefull out there 5/04/08
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by maguyver View Post

The accident is terrible but to take off and leave injured people in the water is about as low and gutless as you can get.

What sort of sicko coward would do this????

wow bud, you beat me to it, i was just going to post this up. It really sucks that you have morons like this out there. Its really sad that this kid is going to loose his leg. Forget the fact that its only a matter of time before we cant ride in our own back yard.

About a year ago or so there was a similar accident where a driver of a pwc ran into an intertube being dragged behind another boat or pwc and killed the person on the raft. If I recall the people on the raft and the ones that were pulling it were DUI.

But, this happens week in and week out, we only hear of the few accidents that make the news. I've been countless times around monument island and the marine stadium and have had an idiot in a 40+ foot speed boat racing up and down with other boats and pwc all around.

.... I second that...There are many people out there that they go out to the water to drink and at the same time they ride PWCs like f#@*ing idiots and most of the time are rookies with no PWC riding experience what so ever who are putting a bad reputation to others PWCs riders. I just feel bad for that family and hope that the police catch this idiots and punish them...

I heard about it from my in laws, it just so happens that they saw when it happened but looked away thinking "look at that guy he just lost control of his ski" after a few minutes they realized what really happed, well that’s when I got the call to see if I was alright and to ask me if any of my buddies where out on the water at the time...... funny how your whole life can change in a matter of seconds

shit, they were out on the boat ?

Yeap, they were there thru all the commotion

Just wanted to give an update on this, I believe the boy was Ok after all, he didnt end up loosing a leg or anything. I think he just broke his leg and was cut, thank god he's ok. As for the morons that crashed him are still on the run and have not been caught.

BE SAFE !! FIRST !!!

Thread Information