Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

BACK 2 BACK tests with 3 and 4 blades.

Hey Guys, just thought I'd share some info about the fun OU142 and I had on the lake today with these props. Jim was kind enough to roll down and let me borrow his prop to do some back to back Lake Testing. Although the lake was choppy and not ideal for any TOP speed testing, it was good enough to do some good ol seat of the pants accelleration tests. The 3 blade is an IMPROS pitched 13/18 vs my out of the box 15/20R.

The other day I was right around 8040 with the 15/20R and was around 70+ until that damn bird got in the way and I had to let off and was eventually knocked off of the ski (another thread in the general section) so I had a good baseline. Yesterday, in some nasty ass chop and big wind rollers I really wasn't able to keep a visual look at my RPM's but I was still able to get 71.7 per GPS and managed to pull 2 RXT-X' that were out on the water. (perhaps not a good measure though as they each had 2 riders) but it was enough to convince me that I am extremely happy with the mods done to my ski and will not be needing an X.

Today, different lake but still pretty choppy, No real speed runs just straight up acceleration tests with the 3 blade and 4 blade. And I gotta tell ya....I have a perfect 15/20R with less than 3 hrs on it going up for sale. The acceleration differences are NIGHT and DAY at any RPM or speed. My sense of acceleration and speed has been changed again! What I thought was fast before all of a sudden is not anymore. I have heard that most like the 3 blade when they go FULL stage 3 to take advantage of the EXTRA RPM'S, but with my current mods I can definitely feel a difference between the 3 blade, my current 15/20R and the 14/19R I had in there. It just hooks up and stays more planted even through the chop. With the 3 blade, Jim saw 8160 pretty steady, I saw peaks of 8180 to 82XX but that was due to the water conditions so I can't give a solid answer as to what the R's were. After some more runs and switching riders/skis we headed in and swapped pumps/props again. With the 15/20R the ski was still quick...just not as quick. The highest steady RPM I saw today was 7980, but the water conditions did not allow for me to stay in it.

Just need to see where my R's are when my GIBSON arrives so I can make a better decision as to which 3 blade I am going to.

LONG STORY - SHORT If you prefer arm ripping acceleraion vs top end, Try a 3 blade prop! Thanks Jim for coming down and hooking me up today. YOU WERE ABSOLUTELY FREAKIN right!!!
    Last edited by Pinoy; 05-05-2008 at 01:39 AM.

+1
    thanks pinoy.. i have the same ski.. running a 13/19....

i love the acceleration too!!!!

was thinking about going 4 blade.... but then rode a stock RXT.... i'll stick to the 3 blade!!!

No worries retro_racer, just wanted to post my findings. If you have a chance though go ahead and try a 4 blade. If nothing more than just to satisfy the curiosity, perhaps you may like it. But as for me...I'm sold on the 3 blade prop for sure.

I prefer the acceleration much more than the top end number. I'd be happy at 70 and getting there lickity split vs 75 and watching the mph increase steadily.

+1
    He was happy to say the least! I'm glad you finally got to try one.

Look out dubz.....Pinoy's looking to hole shot you!

Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    He was happy to say the least! I'm glad you finally got to try one.

Look out dubz.....Pinoy's looking to hole shot you!

LOL! Try to anyway!

+1
    I have had the 3 blade since last year and I do love the holeshot, i do have a 15/20 that I am going to try just to test and see if I pick up some top end I should test it this week and will let you guys know

+1
    I have been testing a 3 blade skat the past 2 outings on the rxp. acceleration is arm wrenching. You best have it pointed in the right direction and be hanging on. I get to full rpm almost right away and stay there. 0 to say 70 is very impresive, blows the X out of the water.
    I ran a GH 15/20 pitched with good top end before the 3 Blade. Hands down the 4 blade takes the top end with stock ecu in my opinion.
    I will say though, I am all over the limiter with 3 blade skat and 81 ring, so might still be some left in her top end. Difference in top end for me is 2-3 mph in props.

Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    acceleration is arm wrenching. You best have it pointed in the right direction and be hanging on. I get to full rpm almost right away and stay there. 0 to say 70 is very impresive, blows the X out of the water.
    I ran a GH 15/20 pitched with good top end before the 3 Blade. Hands down the 4 blade takes the top end with stock ecu in my opinion.
    I will say though, I am all over the limiter with 3 blade skat and 81 ring, so might still be some left in her top end. Difference in top end for me is 2-3 mph in props.
    Completely agree with your comments ....although I didn't really get any top end runs during our tests. But the time it gets up and goes is a BIG difference. Big enough to feel w/o any gidgets/gadgets. I'm certain I'd still get above 70 with the 3 blade. I'd be happy with that. The time it takes to get there is what I find most enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by shhr View Post
    I have had the 3 blade since last year and I do love the holeshot, i do have a 15/20 that I am going to try just to test and see if I pick up some top end I should test it this week and will let you guys know
    AWESOME!!! Keep us posted. I'd like to hear more feedback. BTW - could you list your mods and ski and which 3 blade you're running @ what RPM. Ditto for the 15/20. Trying to store the info in the DOME PIECE for future reference and options. Thanks!

+1
    on my 05 RXT I am currently runing the 15/19 3 blade that Jerry tweaked for me my RPM`s this time of year is 8100-8150, the 15/20 that I am going to try has 1mm added. I may test the wedge with the 15/19 before I change props just to see if that helps as my ski seems very nose heavy after I installed the Riva grate

my mods are
    Riva intercooler
    B-Kit SC 11.5-11.8 @ 8100
    GH water box (new this year)
    Riva pro block offs ( new this year)
    4" air intake
    50LB injectors
    Fuel controller
    158 thermo
    Jim`s ride plate (new this year)
    Rive grate ( new this year)
    water strainer
    catch can

I have had it out 2 times this year (trying to get 10 hours on the RXT-X) my speed was 72.7 with 1 bar below full my best last year with 3 bars or less was 73.2 so I really need to get some time on it and see what it will run with lower fuel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information