Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BikerDad126

Trailer Radial/Bias-ply Tires-Spares-AGE and replacement info

I just made my first trip of the season a few weeks ago. The original tires on my trailer were over 7 years and showed some 'weather cracking'. I garage my trailer when not using it, preventing excessive damage from Sun and Smog in So Cal.
    I realized my spare came off my previous trailer. It was well over 10 years.
    I called around and found Hercules Radials in size 175/80R13. The price was $176 for 3. This included install and new stems, but not balanced.
    I had all 3 installed before I took my 500 mile trip.
    I LOVE the radials compared to the previous Bias Ply Tires I have always had on my trailer. What a HUGE DIFFERENCE they make on the ride quality.
    A little internet research told me I probably waited 2 years too long. Most of the makers say 5 years is a good time to replace the trailer tires.
    I am running the tires at 40 to 45 PSI. Max is 50 PSI.
    I am also amazed at how many of my friends do not carry a spare trailer tire. We all drive 250 miles each way to the Colorado River Area. I would NOT take this risk.
    Of the ones who carry a spare, many have never checked to see if their car jack and lug wrench will work.
    As my wife and I drove home from the 'River', we saw at least 10 trailers off to the side with tires being changed. She told me how glad she was that we were not in that group.

With this said, I just want to ask all of you to ask yourself these questions;
    1) Are my tires properly inflated and in good condition? (This includes spare)
    2) If a trailer tire fails, do I have the CORRECT SIZE spare tire? (this includes the bolt pattern on the wheel, as well as the tire size)
    3) If I need to install the SPARE, will my jack work properly on my trailer? (Does it go low enough and high enough)
    4) Is my lug wrench the correct size for my trailer?

If you have never checked the last 3, go out in your driveway and try all 3. This should take less than 20 minutes. If you need to change something, you still have time to get it right.
    I am no tire expert. I cannot tell you what brand or size to pick. I will tell you to find a good tire dealer that can help you make good choices. The closer to your house, the better.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by BikerDad126; 05-05-2008 at 01:15 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Very good advice!

I changed my trailer wheel nuts to ones that are the same wrench size as my tow vehicle. Now one size wrench fits them all.

I find that using the car/truck jack isn't the best. I like the Easy Lift Trailer axle jack.

It is really is easy to use, and quick to get the trailer lifted up. When the trailer is hooked up to the tow vehicle, the trailer is quite stable when on the jack.

Do test it out when you get it, and make sure it works on your trailer. Check for potential interference with the fenders or frame, although the design seems to be adaptable to most trailers.

These jacks can be positioned for lifting by driving forward, or by reversing. It only takes a foot or so of tow vehicle motion to get the tire off the ground.

On my torsion axle Triton Elite WC-2, this jack works best when placed right beside the tire, under the spindle.

Stores flat, doesn't rust, and has no grease/oil to get on other stuff.

+1

Arrow Check the age of your ST trailer tires

Check the age of your ST trailer tires.

Trailer tire inventory often turns over more slowly, so 'new' tires can be older than you want them to be, before you even put them on your trailer.

Since they tend to take a lot of abuse during towing (curbs, potholes, heavy loads, baking in the sun), but often don't get enough miles to wear out the tread, trailer tires can often 'look' good, but be well past their safe age limit.

Last TWO digits of DOT code are the year of manufacture.
    Check boths sides of the tire, the date code will only be on one side.

The tire in the photo was manufactured during the 11th week of 2007 ==> 1107

Even if the tire age doesn't seem too old, if any of the trailer tires have rubber cracking between the treads, or any bulging of the sidewalls, or any other signs of damage or unusualy wear, replace them ALL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB259506.JPG 
Views:	702 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	72181  
    Last edited by K447; 05-10-2008 at 12:03 PM.

+1
    Sticky !!

I just ran in the garage and checked mine. Even though they are a chinese radial the date code is 2407. I purchased these tires this spring. SAo this puts the tires Born on date at or near June 07...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    I just ran in the garage and checked mine.
    Even though they are a Chinese radial the date code is 2407.
    I purchased these tires this spring. So this puts the tires Born on date at or near June 07...
    Just have to trust that the Chinese manufacturer was accurately dating their tires...

+1

bottle jack

I keep a bottle jack in my trailer box. Super easy to use.
    Just put it under axle inside of wheel and a few pumps and
    you're done. All auto stores have 'em, usually $10/$20.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2293.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	72259  

Faster Than a Snail on a Log mongorunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tomgtv View Post
    I keep a bottle jack in my trailer box. Super easy to use.
    Just put it under axle inside of wheel and a few pumps and
    you're done. All auto stores have 'em, usually $10/$20.

they're also compact in size

+1
    I think we get about 4 years on trailer tires in AZ if kept in a normal garage... less than 2 years if you leave it in the sun.

Just added a spare mount and tire to my trailer. For sure worth having. I also fill my trailer tires and spare with Nitrogen rather then air. Holds pressure even and the spare will not deflate over time and be flat when you need it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information