Thread: Rev Loss

Rev Loss

Just been out on an unusually flat sea on my XL1200 Ltd, and found an old problem I thought I'd cured is still there. After about 1-2 mins at full throttle, the revs drop from 7k to a little over 5.5k, with a flat note to the exhaust, then kick back in after 4-5 secs, and go back to 7k for another 4-5 secs, then it repeats! I thought the power valves were shutting, then re-opening, but I was able to ride with the seat off, and they opened up fine, and didn't shut when the fault started. Could it be the CDI unit sending bad info? I've got a used CDI off an American XLT (35 hours), so would it be worth trying it on mine, or any other thoughts on what it may be? If I do use the new CDI, will I have to wire a chip in, as we don't have the CATCON on European models, or should it connect right up? I can't see it being a fuel problem, as it's seems too uniform on the rev range when the fault occurs, and the carbs were rebuilt last year. I don't get to ride at high revs very often, but I'd like to know it's right! Any thoughts guys?

i was gonna say carbs but you had them rebuilt last year......who rebuilt them?

yes try another cdi, you should be able to plug right in without needing the chip...

are you still running the oil pump?

I got the carbs from Jim as a replacement set,and he rebuilt them before shipping, so I know they're good! Yes,I'm still on the oil pump....do you think that could be causing it? It seems too uniform to be a fuel/oil fault, but any suggestions are welcome! I've known some off-the-wall suggestions to be spot-on with motorcycles I've had problems with!! It strikes me as electrical with the way it cycles to the same revs each time it happens, maybe like an advance/retard/signal fault, but I've learned not to get too obsessed with the obvious, and listen to anyones thoughts! Thank's for your input, and I'll try the new CDI as soon as I can. At least it'll rule that out, or cure it!

Quote Originally Posted by pauladave View Post
    I got the carbs from Jim as a replacement set,and he rebuilt them before shipping, so I know they're good! Yes,I'm still on the oil pump....do you think that could be causing it? It seems too uniform to be a fuel/oil fault, but any suggestions are welcome! I've known some off-the-wall suggestions to be spot-on with motorcycles I've had problems with!! It strikes me as electrical with the way it cycles to the same revs each time it happens, maybe like an advance/retard/signal fault, but I've learned not to get too obsessed with the obvious, and listen to anyones thoughts! Thank's for your input, and I'll try the new CDI as soon as I can. At least it'll rule that out, or cure it!

exactly! try the cdi and let us know what happens, if anything

Thread Information