Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Another Oil Over Fill Issue

We all know that you will lose RPM if the oil is over filled. Well, I learned this weekend that it can also cause the ski to shut down and/or go into limp mode. My RXP-X was over filled from the dealer, but the RPMs have always been fine, so I didn't mess with it. But at this weekend's Supercourse races, it kept shutting down and throwing the "oil" message. At first I thought it was a bad OP sensor. But after draining the oil down to the correct level, the problem resolved. So even if your RPMs are good, make sure to keep the oil level between the bends.

Damn dealers, they really don't know what they're doing. Retards I tell ya.

We all learn something new everyday.....

+1
    May have been foaming up the oil from being over filled causing air bubbles to be in the lubrication system

since I work at a dealership I would like to comment on this.........the reason most dealerships overfill the oil is because they check the oil level after running it on the hose for a short time 4-5 minutes which doesn't get the oil to operating temperature so the oil doesn't expand like it does after riding it in the water.............if the dealerships ran the skis on the hose for any longer the carbon ring would be quite noisy and possibly damaged...........so most dealerships keep it in the bends but once you ride and check it is overfilled.........In my experience I make sure the ski is level.......run it on the hose for 4 minutes........then put the level maybe 1/4 of an inch past the bottom bend so once it's warmed up it will be in the middle.......the only way the dealerships would get it spot on is if they test ride it and check it while in the water or after on the trailer..........then they would have to charge you more for their time..........

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmic View Post
    since I work at a dealership I would like to comment on this.........the reason most dealerships overfill the oil is because they check the oil level after running it on the hose for a short time 4-5 minutes which doesn't get the oil to operating temperature so the oil doesn't expand like it does after riding it in the water.............if the dealerships ran the skis on the hose for any longer the carbon ring would be quite noisy and possibly damaged...........so most dealerships keep it in the bends but once you ride and check it is overfilled.........In my experience I make sure the ski is level.......run it on the hose for 4 minutes........then put the level maybe 1/4 of an inch past the bottom bend so once it's warmed up it will be in the middle.......the only way the dealerships would get it spot on is if they test ride it and check it while in the water or after on the trailer..........then they would have to charge you more for their time..........
    Cosmic, your full of shit!!!!!! What a line I saw with my own eyes how full it was..... a quart or more O/F

NO F'in way! A half in above the bend Oil doesn't expand 30-40% Quit making excuses for a dumb ass mechanic.

+1
    JAWS +1 cosmic please read the manuel

how about this if you are at a dealer make them measure how much they take out then put that much back in

this is asuming you checked it properly during the break in

I always do my own oil changes

yeh measure how much they take out.........what if it was overfilled to begin with?...............oil doesn't expand 30-40% no shit, I didn't say it would..........i was trying to say not all dealerships overfill the oil thats it....... go read the manual? shhr why don't you go clean your water strainer and fix your IC before you read the manual to try to find your exhaust overheating problem Bo.
    Last edited by cosmic; 05-05-2008 at 11:25 PM.

I now work at dealership again and I will agree with cosmic, in that unless you can ride the ski and get it up to operating temp you wont get it spot on everytime.

Though that being said a lot of dealers don't know what they are doing and will overfill it big time. It's not that hard to get it right.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmic View Post
    yeh measure how much they take out.........what if it was overfilled to begin with?...............oil doesn't expand 30-40% no shit, I didn't say it would..........i was trying to say not all dealerships overfill the oil thats it....... go read the manual? shhr why don't you go clean your water strainer and fix your IC before you read the manual to try to find your exhaust overheating problem Bo.
    A half in. above the top bend..... is inexcusable! Even if the ski is not level. I change mine every 2 hours....I've done it many times as has many ppl on the forum.

The running the ski 4-5 minutes has NOTHING to do with oil level being close. It runs at 70 lbs of oil preasure. In 20 seconds the oil has been cycled.... Why would you defend a dealer that doesn't check the oil level and take some out if nesesary?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information