Paradise rider
    +1

Will an Kawasaki Ultra 150 do?

Hi, I own currently an 1997 yamaha gp1200. I can get an deal of an lifetime on an 1999 kawasaki ultra 150. The engine is rebuilded with ZERO hours on it. I believed that is the first year of the ultra 150. It got to use the special spark plugs or so I heard. I live in Aruba and do my riding mostly in the chop. Jumping waves etc. A few people don't recommend the Ultra 150. They say it's unstable, it's a nightmare to ride in the chop, it's an blast as long as it's in flat water. But then again, they have ridin it mabey once or twice, but never owned them. I've owned several crafts in the past of different brands, so I think I can do well with it, If you can handle an waveblaster, X-2 or an stand up, an ultra cannot be that bad. I want to get some feedback of ultra 150 owners (past owners) how much they like (or dislike) this craft. Also every craft had weak points, for instance the yamaha gp1200 has a very reliable engine, but the hull is an nightmare. What kind of troubles, other then the normal wear and tear, can I expect from this craft. Any info is appreciated.

I would go for it. The Ultra becomes very stable with the Shredmaster ride plate. On the plugs, if you get a later CDI you won't need the hard to find expensive plug. NGK BR9ES will do it. The funny thing is that I have had more close calls on STX-R and none on the Ultra.

Eggy

Formerly Ultra250 TN
    +1
    If you want a wave jumper, flat water ski, then get the 150, I had 2 2002 150s for 4 years, I had a blast on them and one hell of a work out, but I dont think I would ever buy another one.........................

Well after having both a 99 and 02 Ultra 150 both modded I can tell you that I highly recommend against them for ocean riding if that is what you are getting it for. I would be for one for lake riding but really the 150's are fun ski's on smooth water and very very light chop and if there are rolling waves like barge waves in a river to jump not rough chop like the ocean. For ocean riding you need a bigger hull like a 250 or if you don't want to spend that kind of money a STX hull either in an STXR or STX 15F just much more stable riding for tougher conditions. I had my 02 Ultra 150 while having my 02 STXR and still have the STXR if that tells you anything, the Ultra just won't run with it in most conditions, period. My Ultra had a D3 pipe, all handling mods, ADA head and would run right at 68 in smooth water. My STXR has all handling mods also with bone stock engine it runs 63-64 in anything. When I had both the Ultra and STXR if we were in 2ft. or over chop STXR would run off and leave the Ultra all day long but the Ultra was quicker obviously because of mods and it was a fun jumper. Just depends on what your looking for I guess.
    Last edited by STXR814; 05-05-2008 at 08:54 PM.

Paradise rider
    +1
    Thanks for the response. Yes, I would really like an Ultra 250, but I have to pay the price what you pay for it in the States, then the shipping from Miami to Aruba, wich will be around 1500$ on top of that when it reach Aruba, I have to pay 45% duty on that whole amount of the craft and shipping. EXSPENSIVE !! Altough I heard that the ultra 250 is a gashog. I don't know because we don't have any here yet in Aruba. I think i'll go for the ultra 150. The STX-R we don't have neither here in Aruba, so that will be out of the question. Most guys here have GPR's, RXP's and RXT's, otherthen the old beaten xl700 that they bought from the rentalspots here on the island. There are only two Ultra 150 on the island, and soon one of them will be mine. By the way, where can I order the shredmaster rideplate for it.

Give bob morgan a call at shredmaster direct. just google them it will get you rite to them.

Oh, and an RXP, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by aruba yamaha View Post
    A few people don't recommend the Ultra 150. They say it's unstable, it's a nightmare to ride in the chop, it's an blast as long as it's in flat water.
    They weren't lying to you. Don't get me wrong, my 150 is a riding experience that our RXP and 250 cannot offer, but like mentioned, it's not a lot of fun in straight-line-riding if it's choppy. It's downright scary, actually. But then again, I've been spoiled a little with the 250 - a ski that bitch slaps chop like nobody's business.

Still, I think it would be a good buy as long as you know what you can and cannot do with it. Straight lines aren't the only way to have fun on a PWC; and if you know this, you can have a blast with a tuned Ultra 150. I know I love mine.

Thread Information