Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help SL900 will not start

My SL900 ran fine two weeks ago. Yesterday I lifted the cover and noticed some water in the hull. I think the rear drain plug may have been a little lose. The nose was tied up on the beach with the rear in the water. I drained it with the pump. After draining it the battery was too weak to start. I swapped it with a new battery I just bought for my other ski. It is turning over just fine but it will not catch for some reason. I tried the choke with no luck. It just keeps turning over but no start. I removed the air filter and cover. I could see fuel squirting in all three carbs when I pulled the throttle. I also tried some starting fluid with no success. The key was in and the cut off switch was in the right place. One thing I did not check but thought of later was the water/fuel seperator. Would I still be able to see it squirting gas in the carbs if the seperator needed to be emptied? So if it is turning over and it is squirting gas then what else could it be? I have an inline spark tester that I will check it with next. Could I have forgot to do something when I swapped batteries? I've had water in the hull before without any problems but could it have done something bad this time? I have a Clymer repair manual that I will look through tonight.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Did you check your plugs they could of fowled out from when you were trying
    to start it

how about the lanyard...................................???????? ??????

Quote Originally Posted by jmule98 View Post
    Did you check your plugs they could of fowled out from when you were trying
    to start it
    I'll be sure to pick up some plugs to swap out next weekend for both ski's. Anyone know the part number off hand? The one that's not running is my SL900 the other one is an 780SLX. I'm running NGK plugs from a local auto parts store.

Quote Originally Posted by la90043 View Post
    how about the lanyard...................................???????? ??????
    yep, lanyard was in. I've done that before though.

does it not have a circuit breaker/button on the black box huh? did it trip?

how much water was in the engine compartment huh? what parts were submerged in water.........? the whole engine? the black box that sits on top of the battery? what exactly?

www.springbreak-florida.com rgard32's Avatar
    you know what to do..check spark first........IF no spark.....question...do you have the update kit in there??

+1
    If there's no spark, replace or bring jumper battery, if still no spark, split electrical box and check for water. Still no spark, test on/off switch and voltage regulator and if they're good, install ignition up-date system.

Check for water in your seperator.

+1
    The plugs you will need for the sl900 are NGK BPR8ES

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I'll pick up some plugs and check everything over this weekend. I did try pushing in the reset button, no luck. The water did not get above the top of the battery. I did not crack open the electronics box yet. It couldn't be something simple like a fuse in there, huh? I remember replacing a fuse for the MFD last summer. I may have shorted something out when I tried to jump the first battery. Not to jump ahead but where's a good place to pick up the upgrade kit if it's determind thats whats needed. I recently found a thread somewhere on here about the upgrade kit. I'll probably post back while I'm working on it Saturday or Sunday.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information