Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carb cleaner?

Carb cleaner?

Im not quite convinced i should take my carbs apart and clean them, all seems to be running good, so my question is, is it harmful, helpful, or neither in anyway to just spray some short bursts of carb cleaner down the throats while the engine is running? Be easy on me, im still an engine noob... What about using some sort of fuel system cleaner?

doing that will not clean the carb internally. doing that would harm the piston/cylinder you are doing it to. its important to know the internal condition of your carburetors for the fact being if one needs parts replacement internally or cleaning internally you wont blow a piston. a bad carb will make that piston run lean. in some rare cases even too rich but that is rare.

gotcha, thats what i figured, just wanted to hear it from the experts... Ill try to build up the courage one day to just take the things apart and clean them.... hard to do when all seems fine.... thanks man

+1
    I have heard of folks running half the normal amount of carb cleaner in gas mix (like stp fuel injector cleaner) So if it says 1 bottle to 10 gallons, use 1/2 a bottle to 10 gallons and run a full tank to clean the carbs without taking them apart.

I will wait for the yodi (respectful plural of Yoda) to chime in, I have never tried this, but have read of people running Seafoam, stp, marvel mystery oil, etc

+1
    Check to see if you're running lean (piston wash). If you're running lean you know it's time for a carb cleaning.
    If the carbs are indeed impacted with schmegma no amount of carb cleaner in the fuel tank is going to clean it up.
    You need to disasemble and properly clean the carbs, it's as vital to engine life as oil.

+1
    Allowing smegma to accumulate freely is unhealthy. Accumulation of smegma can cause or aggravate a variety of irritations.

Define in a noobs terms, what running lean is exactly? That way i can define if there is a problem or not.... Also, yeah another guy last year told me to try some seafoam, but never tried it....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Lean burn operation, melted pistons, reading piston wash

Quote Originally Posted by Sabu1984 View Post
    Define in a noobs terms, what running lean is exactly? ...
    Time to do some searching and reading...

Lean operation means there is not enough fuel mixed with the air during combustion, especially at high throttle levels. In these 2-stroke engines, this causes higher than normal piston temperatures, which can literally melt the top of the pistons.

Often caused by incorrect adjustment of the carb high speed settings, or restrictions/clogging inside the carbs or fuel system.

In many cases, the engine will produce full power, even while running lean, right up until the piston(s) fail catastrophically. This is why you cannot wait until you sense something is wrong with the engine power. You must be certain the carburetors are delivering the full and correct amount of fuel to the engine, or engine damage WILL occur.

In a properly running engine, there is a pattern of a thin carbon deposit with fingernail sized clean areas around the perimeter (called the piston 'wash') that is the signature of correct fuel delivery.

Lean operation creates a different 'look' on the piston tops, a fairly even blackish coloring. When the piston becomes overheated from continued lean running at speed, tiny flakes of melted aluminum can appear. Keep running the motor, and an actual hole through the piston will occur.

Overly rich fuel mixtures look too clean (washed off), with very little carbon present on large areas of the pistons.

You can remove the cylinder heads, and then evaluate what each piston looks like, or you can use a slim light and peer into each spark plug hole, looking for the signature pattern of normal fuel-air combustion.

Keep in mind that each cylinder and carb is separate. Each one needs to be checked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piston wash article page 2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	71359  
    Last edited by K447; 05-07-2008 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Title added

Piston wash is the washing of the dome of the piston by the fuel. A very rich indication is the dome of the piston is "washed/cleaned" away by alot of fuel. clean spots on the piston dome is piston wash. the more carbon/black/soot/oily substance on the dome of the piston indicates a leaner condition. "no wash"

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10089

Quote Originally Posted by Sabu1984 View Post
    Define in a noobs terms, what running lean is exactly? That way i can define if there is a problem or not.... Also, yeah another guy last year told me to try some seafoam, but never tried it....

This is why i never find good info searching... you guys always point me in the right direction! GREAT FRIGGIN INFO for a noob like me! I just learned a heck of alot by reading all that and checking out those pics.... So any info i need to know about taking off the cylinder heads? Im gonna go see how well i can see down in them, but seems pretty basic just to take off the heads....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information