Thread: Hello all

Hello all

Hi everyone. First post here.
    I am looking into buying a pair of Yamaha 4-strokes that have been used by a rental watersports company here on the outer banks of North Carolina.
    The guy that owns them claims they have about 350 hours average on them and that they are virtually maintenance free with the exception of regular inspection and oil and filter changes.
    He also noted that they don't normally flush their skis until the end of the season when they are put up.
    I would be buying an oil extraction pump and doing the oil and filter changes myself.
    The models available range from 05'-07'
    The skis would be used mainly for puttering around fishing and diving, both on the ocean side and in the fresher water sound.

My question is what should I be looking for in a Yamaha ski and what should I be prepared to do other than flush them and change the oil and filter?

Also, I read that some of these mfgrs. claim that the 4-strokes will last forever if properly maintained.
    Is this normally true?

Thanks in advance for any advice you experienced people can offer.

Hope I put this post in the right place.
    Last edited by aldematt57; 05-06-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Welcome! I just bought (2) 2005 Yamaha FX High Output Cruisers. I took them to the dealer and they are having the routine maintenance done as we speak.
    The main things you want to check for are the obvious: hull cracks or fractures, excessive salt corrosion, any oil or fuel in the bottom of the engine compartment, you know "kick the tires". If he is a rental guy, he should let you test ride any of the skies you are wanting to buy. Ride them for about a half hour to an hour and make sure that it doesn't overheat, make any wierd sounds, no failure lights come on, anything like that. Then take a really good look at the engine compartment and make sure that there isn't anything you didn't see on the first check.
    I researched all types of waverunners, new and used, for weeks until I bought mine. What I found is that although Yamaha waverunners may not be the fastest stock skies on the water, they are one of the most dependable and longest lasting out there. That means a whole lot more to be than being the fastest.
    By the way, with over 350hrs on them, he better be giving you a great deal! Mine each have 35hrs on them and I paid $12,000 with the double trailer. Welcome again!

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Do you really want anything that was rented to the general public,I am sure they have been ridden very hard and put away wet, thats 350 hours of "Screw it, its a rental..................hold my beer and watch this.........."

Quote Originally Posted by Piraya33 View Post
    Welcome! I just bought (2) 2005 Yamaha FX High Output Cruisers. I took them to the dealer and they are having the routine maintenance done as we speak.
    The main things you want to check for are the obvious: hull cracks or fractures, excessive salt corrosion, any oil or fuel in the bottom of the engine compartment, you know "kick the tires". If he is a rental guy, he should let you test ride any of the skies you are wanting to buy. Ride them for about a half hour to an hour and make sure that it doesn't overheat, make any wierd sounds, no failure lights come on, anything like that. Then take a really good look at the engine compartment and make sure that there isn't anything you didn't see on the first check.
    I researched all types of waverunners, new and used, for weeks until I bought mine. What I found is that although Yamaha waverunners may not be the fastest stock skies on the water, they are one of the most dependable and longest lasting out there. That means a whole lot more to be than being the fastest.
    By the way, with over 350hrs on them, he better be giving you a great deal! Mine each have 35hrs on them and I paid $12,000 with the double trailer. Welcome again!
    Thanks for the advice Piraya.
    His price for the 06's are about 3900/per ski and I think he wants 2900/per ski for the 05's.
    A friend of mine purchased 2 SeaDoos from the guy and has had good luck with them and his were 2 strokes.
    I'm not opposed to getting something newer but I'm looking to try and get 2 used skis for no more than 7500 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    Do you really want anything that was rented to the general public,I am sure they have been ridden very hard and put away wet, thats 350 hours of "Screw it, its a rental..................hold my beer and watch this.........."
    Good point but at this juncture, a pair of used skis is my only option.
    And just for the record, these rentals are taken care of comparatively well.
    Users are kept within certain boundaries and their use and speed is restricted.

I have a work van that I use for my business that was a rental for the "general public" that has made me hundreds of thousands of dollars in service and installation work with nary a mechanical problem or failure, so I think it can be an unfair generalization to condemn a resold rental just because it was a rental.
    I've known original owners who took the same type of attitude with their own stuff as the general public does with rentals.

Thanks for the response.
    Last edited by aldematt57; 05-06-2008 at 02:19 PM.

My main area of concern with rentals would be the impeller and wear ring. They routinely beach these rentals and gun them in shallow water sandblasting the pump and impeller.

Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO View Post
    My main area of concern with rentals would be the impeller and wear ring. They routinely beach these rentals and gun them in shallow water sandblasting the pump and impeller.
    Thanks alot VOODOO.
    That's the type of useful info I need.
    I guess if I'm only able to pony up enough dollars to get 2 used skis at the price that one mid line new one costs, I'd better get used to the limitations and drawbacks.
    Maybe I can convince mama to add a few grand to the pot. LOL

Thread Information