Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bow chicka wow wow
    +1

Unhappy HELP!Top half of pump shoe gone

Help guys, the whole top half of my pump shoe is trashed. I don't have the girdle yet. But how the heck can I repair without pulling the whole pump shoe out? Epoxy will not hold, will fiberglass????

+1
    If you could post a pic so we could see how bad the damage is..then we could give ya some advice...BUT if its that bad your gonna probley want to replace it..

Bow chicka wow wow
    +1

Pump shoe

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    If you could post a pic so we could see how bad the damage is..then we could give ya some advice...BUT if its that bad your gonna probley want to replace it..
    Don't have camera handy but it looks like the two brass inserts are there. Basically the top half is gone.......... back about 2-3 inches. All the veins are ok. Ride plate still holding on ok, but I wonder if it might come loose???

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    You're screwed man. Same thing just happened to me a week ago. Good thing is the pump shoe isn't expensive but i hope you have some free time to kill.

Do you have any pictures of your pump?

+1
    Check this thread, page 6 especially ... http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...t=52332&page=6

I am going even further ... the pump support where yours broke off is extremely thin, water gets under it at speed, it vibrates at speed, and sometimes it just cracks off like yours did. I have two grates drilled for the R&D girdle, but I also drilled out the small center hole a bit and drilled up thru the pump support. I layed in two layers of carbon fiber and epoxy resin and will drill thru that, put a counter sunk fender washer in the pump tunnel, make it very flush, and I have a SS 'T' threaded fastener to drop in the top of the fender washer. I then thread up a larger SS bolt thru the drilled out hole in the rideplate tab that threads into the flush 'T' nut that sits in the fender washer. I will then lay one more layer of carbon fiber/epoxy resin OVER the fender washer, sand, smooth, and 'paint on' a little more epoxy resin to make it very smooth. End result is no intrusion into the water path in the pump tunnel, infinitely stronger pump tunnel, and the pump tunnel is now TIED firmly to the ride plate tab. Minor mod to the grate and it easily clears the bolt head on the ride plate tab.

The R&D girdle eliminates the chance of pulling the inserts out of the pump support. But what I outlined above is one way to eliminate the other problem that Pirates (and others) have had, with the pump support ramp ripping off. These are two separate issues and I decided to address both on my boat ...

Once the pump support ramp is broke ... not fun, you may want to pull out the pump support and replace it, but do some reinforcing so you don't face this again.

Bow chicka wow wow
    +1
    Thanks for the information Vern, sounds like I will have to replace the entire pump shoe. Do you think it is useless to try and patch up my current situation, which is exactly as you just described?

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirates81 View Post
    Thanks for the information Vern, sounds like I will have to replace the entire pump shoe. Do you think it is useless to try and patch up my current situation, which is exactly as you just described?
    Repairs have been tried but I'm not sure of outcome.. I recommend replacement, you don't want POS repair coming loose while your going 70.
    Riva replaced my pump shoe for " i think " 600.00 dollars and while they were there they realligned my motor and drive shaft.. I picked up 1.5 MPH
    Last edited by Alex13; 05-07-2008 at 09:40 AM.

+1
    What Alex said ... once it is gone, I am not sure if it would be wise to rebuild it ... most people have pulled the pump shoe and put a new one in. I think you could rebuild it, but it would likely be wiser to install a new pump shoe. If you put in a new one, it is a good idea to flip the new one upside down and fill in the bottom (the part that ripped off yours) with a very strong filler to help reinforce it ... my choice would be West System Epoxy, others have used other products too.

+1
    $600.00 sounds fair to me for replacing the pump shoe. The tools, parts and supplies is over $300.00 alone to do this repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    Repairs have been tried but I'm not sure of outcome.. I recommend replacement, you don't want POS repair coming loose while your going 70.
    Riva replaced my pump shoe for " i think " 600.00 dollars and while they were there they realligned my motor and drive shaft.. I picked up 1.5 MPH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information