Question Stereo install questions

I am trying to find out any information on installing a stereo and two speakers. My boat is stock and obviously does not have a stereo. I wont have any problem with the installation, just questions on power needs. Will the single battery work? If not , how do I add a second battery? And any other information would be helpful. Thanks.

If you're just going to hook up a stereo and two speakers you will be safe with just using the stock battery. But if you choose to venture out to adding an amplifier you should look at a second battery. Here's a link to how I added a second battery to my boat. Good luck and ask if you have any questions.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55894

Thanks alot for the reply, that is exactly what I was looking for. Your installation looks great.

Thanks for the kind words......

Quote Originally Posted by jclairday View Post
    I am trying to find out any information on installing a stereo and two speakers. My boat is stock and obviously does not have a stereo. I wont have any problem with the installation, just questions on power needs. Will the single battery work? If not , how do I add a second battery? And any other information would be helpful. Thanks.
    Hey, good luck! I did this to my 2003 LE last month. I also put two speakers up front. I was and am still considering a second battery... but so far I haven't even come close to discharging the main battery even after running the stereo for several hours with the engine off.

I know you didn't ask for speaker install advise... but I recommend going with a 5" (or possibly 5.5") hole saw for installing 6" speakers. I did a little research about using rotozips and dremels, and ended up buying a $30 hole saw from Lowes. I'm glad I did - the holes take only 20 seconds to cut! Make sure you tape the area first and have someone hold a shop vac nearby to catch most of the fiberglass and it'll be a snap. I also learned that it's a snap to run wires to the bow should you decide to add speakers there as well.

Have fun!

Cameron,
    How many speakers total do you have and what kind of battery are you running? I am open to any info you can give.
    Thanks.

I just finished my stereo upgrade and it hammers. New head unit with iPod controls, 4 MB Quart NKD116 6.5's", 2 MB Quart NWD254 10" sub's, and a MB Quart NAA665 6x65 watt amp. The only downfall is that my amp. sucks down my 2nd battery in just over an hour if the boat is not running. I do a lot of anchoring and swimming off the back. I was going to post pics but I'm having the boat detailed in the beginning of June so I will post pics then. I added a 2nd remote for my stereo to the back swim platform. Very impressed with the MB Quart equipment. It really pounds and sounds crisp too.

If you are just going with a head unit look at the Clarion m475. You can pick one up online around $140-150. Great features and excellent power for just a head unit. You can run 4 speakers off it and your stock battery with no problem........Good luck.
    Last edited by spd5535; 05-07-2008 at 07:50 PM.

I've got 4 Alpine M600s (based on recomendations from researching here). Two in the back and two in the front. Rears are right next to the driver's right shin and the spotter's right shin.

I knocked around to where I thought I found spots that were hollow without any structural parts behind and drilled a pilot hole. I bent a wire hangar and stuck it in the hole to feel around to make sure there weren't any obstructions. In every case but the rear left it was fine. The rear-left one I discoverd there's a structural peice running vertically about in the middle of the space between spotter seat and bench seat. Luckily my pilot hole was about 2" to the right of that blockage so I made another pilot hole about 3" to the right and all was good. I'll take some pics of the final product soon. I'm sure it's hard to pcture what I described.

Thread Information