02 gtx rfi intermittent bog then blew up

what would have caused my brothers gtx rfi to blow up? we were riding today, everything was fine running good, then the gtx would bog then take off again. It did it a couple times then would barely go 5 mph then take off again, then it just died. towed it back we think the rear cylinder piston let go, spark plug was hit. What would have caused the bogging, so when we rebuild the motor, we wont have to worry about it blowing up again?
    Thanks in advance
    Bill

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by headbush View Post
    what would have caused my brothers gtx rfi to blow up? we were riding today, everything was fine running good, then the gtx would bog then take off again. It did it a couple times then would barely go 5 mph then take off again, then it just died. towed it back we think the rear cylinder piston let go, spark plug was hit. What would have caused the bogging, so when we rebuild the motor, we wont have to worry about it blowing up again?
    Thanks in advance
    Bill
    Hard to say till you tear it down.

My x ray eye glasses are in the shop this week.

You will find out when you open it up,probally a upper or lower rod bearing would be my guess...

your right, but what I was asking is what would cause the bogging, then acceleration? maybe it was just the motor going south, but just curious if it were injector, or something like that. Trying to make sure it dont blow up again.
    Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by headbush View Post
    your right, but what I was asking is what would cause the bogging, then acceleration? maybe it was just the motor going south, but just curious if it were injector, or something like that. Trying to make sure it dont blow up again.
    Thanks

The bogging was probally the motors way of telling you something was wrong,maybe a clogged injector ???

Time for a teardown.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    If it was a rod bearing...had the engine ever been submerged in water? Hydrolocked? Normaly you get less than 10-15 hours after a hydrolock before the rod bearing lets go.
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 05-07-2008 at 07:06 PM.

you know the funny thing is that the engine had gotten water in it a couple years ago. we have to tear it apart and see whats wrong

Thread Information