+1

was just wondering about something

I bought my 05 RXP off my brother last summer, I remember that the first year he had it there was an "issue". All I can remember was he took it out one day and something happened. Over an course of an hour or 2 his speed went from mid 60's to low 30's and wouldnt rev over a certain point (cant remember the number it was a while ago). The MAINT light came on and took it to the deal. They charged some godly amount to repair it. He said that the shop claimed that he sucked up a clam which damged some seal in around or dealing with the impeller/outdrive.

I was just wondering what others people take on this might have been. I am almost 90% sure that when he rode he was in water well over 5' deep most of the time and when the problem started he was in the channel where it is over 10' deep. Do you think sucking up a clam or anything else would do this much damage?

My thoughts were that he suffered from the washers cracking, but I cant prove it. Any way I could check some things on it to see if anything was replaced that shouldnt have been?
    Last edited by sfackett0; 05-06-2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: change title

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sfackett0 View Post
    I bought my 05 RXP off my brother last summer, I remember that the first year he had it there was an "issue". All I can remember was he took it out one day and something happened. Over an course of an hour or 2 his speed went from mid 60's to low 30's and wouldnt rev over a certain point (cant remember the number it was a while ago). The MAINT light came on and took it to the deal. They charged some godly amount to repair it. He said that the shop claimed that he sucked up a clam which damged some seal in around or dealing with the impeller/outdrive.

I was just wondering what others people take on this might have been. I am almost 90% sure that when he rode he was in water well over 5' deep most of the time and when the problem started he was in the channel where it is over 10' deep. Do you think sucking up a clam or anything else would do this much damage?

My thoughts were that he suffered from the washers cracking, but I cant prove it. Any way I could check some things on it to see if anything was replaced that shouldnt have been?
    the "Maint" light is just a maintenance reminder that comes on during pre set intervails. It doesn't come on from sucking up clams or losing your supercharger washers. Sounds like that dealer is a crook!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sfackett0 View Post
    Any way I could check some things on it to see if anything was replaced that shouldnt have been?
    Pull the cover off of the front oil pump and look for ceramic washer debris in the screen.

Do you have metal washers installed on your supercharger? If not it's the first thing i would be doing if i were you.

+1
    no i discovered this forum like half way throught last summer, rode it only a few times after learning about the washers problem. I have the SC of the ski sitting im my garage (the washers look good no signs of chiping or cracking). Waiting on my stimus package from uncle sam, you should be seeing it within a month for the swap out.

What do you think would make its power drop by like half all of a sudden? Seemed fine after he got it back and when i rode it all last summer. Someone told me that Seadoo ships new skis with throttle cables that arent pre-stretched so after a few hours you lose acceleration due to a stretched cable and are forced to bring it in for the 10hr check up

when the washers fail the ski wont rev. past 5400 rpm and doesnt have any holeshot what so ever,this is because the sc isnt turning anymore....9 out of 10 if you pull the pront oil pump like jerry said, you will have a cracked washer in there and i know from experience

Do you have metal washers installed on your supercharger? If not it's the first thing i would be doing if i were you.[/QUOTE]

You Heard the boss if its not metal washers change them out so you have them in there. I wont even ride my ski right now cause it has the stock motor messer uppers in it.

+1
    washers will deffintely be replaced before this season, going to take the front oil pump cover off today (granted I can find it).

+1
    Check hose clamps!
    Then compression.
    If it were the SC it should turn 6500

+1
    not sure what the front pump looks like, a picture or diagram would help, if someone could provide a link, id appreciate it.

Thread Information