Exclamation bought USED RXP don't know what to think

Picked up another used 04 rxp (31 hours from wisconsin) today and put it in the water right away. It had a quarter tank of whatever the dealership had in it for gas so I planned to burn through that first.

For the first few runs the ski would not break 50! (yes i let it warm up first) After holding it at 50 across the lake the ski started to buck for a second or two and then hit about 65. Now it will do 65 no problem. Mechanic said put fresh gas in it and run it some more and I should be fine. I still think the idle is rough. The bottom of my hull needs a real good cleaning also... could that be what is holding me back from 70?

Should I be concerned???

Day two will consist of fresh gas and longer runs. As far as I know it still has the ceramic washers.

Other RXP pictured is my girlfriend's. she had hers first

+1
    I couldn't get more than 64-65 mph out of mine when I first got it either. By using fresh gas (almost empty tank), fixing a bent prop, and getting the oil level right, it ran 68-69 like everyone elses.

Faster Than a Snail on a Log mongorunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pohlease View Post

Other RXP pictured is my girlfriend's. she had hers first

aww yall are gunna look so cute!!!!!!!!!

jk

Check the supercharger If it has ceramics washers and there broke. You have more problems then just bad gas.

+1
    make sure the sc is not slipping. with fresh tank of gas run a bottle of techron to clean fuel injectors. one bottle 12gal of gas. make sure you use up the whole tank of gas that day, techron can eat the plastic tank if you leave it in there too long.

Thanks for the tip about techron I've used it before in cars and it always works great. Would have never thought about NOT leaving it in a plastic tank.

I put fresh high octane gas in the ski. It runs 65 consistent... I am guessing I do not have a ceramic washer problem (yet) because the idle is rough I would assume that is an engine problem since the supercharger wouldn't effect idle? I've also looked at the oil and it is clear and clean. I've looked at all the nuts and bolts with a flashlight and they don't appear like they've been worked on.

What would cause a rough idle? I pulled one spark plug and it looked fine. slightly brown at most.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

+1
    I've had a spark plug go bad before. One cylinder just cut out totally. All the plugs looked fine, but when I replaced them it ran perfect.

Mike

My 2 cent is: IMMEDIATELY have the SC washers changed to insure they are METAL!!! The consequence of the ceramics being injested into the motor is too great a risk. I know the hard way! I put it off one more ride…..and disaster! Lots of work and money later I feel that advice is worth giving.

Then run a can of Seafoam through the tank. There is a possibility that water in the fuel is causing it to run rough.

Thread Information