+1

First time travleing with my GTI-SE, got a few questions...

Hello All,

I will be taking my 2006 GTI-SE to Panama City Beach this year for vacation. I will be using a 2001 Ford Explorer to pull her. The trip is from nashville, tn so about 400 miles give or take.

I was wondering what I need to do for my trailer to get it ready for the trip down and back?

What I need to do for my Ski for the trip down and back?

What kind of saltwater care should be taken before and after, as I have never ridden in the ocean before?

Any tips or suggestions is really appreciated.
    Jason

+1
    I would check the tires and the bearings to make sure they are in tip top shape. Also check your lights. Make sure you jetski is strapped down good. I think I've read something about towing in the trailer section.

As far as the ocean water, just give it a good flush after you are done using it.

I recommend washing the entire ski and trailer down with salt-away and also flushing it with it as well. Wash the outside of the motor up with the salt-away too and spray it off with silicon lubricant afterward. If you have a northern painted trailer, try to avoid dipping it into the salt and if you do dip it, make sure your caps over the bearings are sealed well after you grease them up.

+1
    thanks for all the help.

I plan on buying 2 extra wheels and bolt them to the trailer. I will have to buy some salt away.

Also what brand silicone lubricant. I had heard WD-40 is ok to use.

Thanks for the replies so far.
    I just want to have a good exprience driving to the beach,hehe.

Jason

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jnr4817 View Post
    thanks for all the help.

I plan on buying 2 extra wheels and bolt them to the trailer. I will have to buy some salt away.

Also what brand silicone lubricant. I had heard WD-40 is ok to use.

Thanks for the replies so far.
    I just want to have a good experience driving to the beach, hehe.

Jason
    WD-40 is not silicone, and is not the best choice.
    You do not want to use petroleum based products on the plastics and wiring inside the hull. Over time, it can make them more brittle.

Get some Fluid Film.
    A member here has an arrangement where you can get a single can for free by providing your name and address info. Do a search for Fluid Film - you'll find the info. Also available in some stores.

Rinse everything down well with fresh water, including inside the hull. Salt spray can get everywhere inside. Use Salt Away where necessary.

Let everything dry out as much as you can, then mist the engine area with Fluid Film. You don't need to soak it, just protect it.

I presume you have been reading through the other trailer related threads.

Make sure the tire pressures are correct, and the wheel bearings are greased and protected from water entry (bearing buddy).

Check the wheel nuts for tightness with a torque wrench, then check them again after about an hour on the road. Spray some Fluid Film on them too. In fact, spray it on all the exposed steel parts of the trailer (spring mounts, bolts, etc), especially anything that is going to be dipped into salt water.

Make sure the coupler latch on the trailer is properly tensioned (the adjusting nut is usually on the underside of the coupler). Often they are shipped at a fairly loose setting. Put a small amount of lube/grease on the ball itself, reduces noise and friction.

Carry a few rags to wipe your hand.

Check the lights, hitch, coupler, and PWC tie downs at every stop. Always do a walk around before driving off - every time. Look at ALL the tires - trailer and tow vehicle.

Have a good trip. Take the time to check and prepare, and you should have no problems.

+1
    thanks very much for the replies.

thats what i was guessing about the wd-40. i will find some silicone spray or the fluid film.

jason

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Id go to Boaters World in Rivergate or Northern Tools or West Marine (depending on what part of Nashville you are in) and get a spare wheel hub, they are ready to slide on the axle with bearings if you have a problem, 55 bucks is cheap insurance while you are on the road, strap the back of the ski down, and dont pull it with a cover on it, make sure you have several locking mechanisms on the ski and trailer to slow down anybody wanting you to part with your ski,Trailer lock on the connector,a chain or cable to go through the wheels, or a wheel boot............

An easy way to check your bearings for failure...the next time you take your ski out and are driving for a bit and stop, put your hand on the wheel hubs. If they are super hot, or one is noticeably hotter than the other, they are bad. But if you are going on a 400 mile trip, you should make sure they are good before you leave. I just do that quick check whenever I change bearings on a trailer, just to make sure all is good.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by antoniodef View Post
    An easy way to check your bearings for failure...the next time you take your ski out and are driving for a bit and stop, put your hand on the wheel hubs. If they are super hot, or one is noticeably hotter than the other, they are bad...
    I check the wheel hub/bearing temperatures every time I stop; For gas, for lunch, every time, right after I get properly parked, even if it is just a short trip.

Easy to do, just keep a rag handy to wipe your hands afterwards. Quite warm is fine, but cannot-touch-it hot is too hot.

I also check the tire sidewall temps at each stop. Just put the back of my hand on each tire (trailer and tow vehicle), as part of my walk around when I park.

If one tire sidewall seems hotter than the others, then it is time to check tire pressures (and inflate to correct pressure). If you must re-inflate a hot tire, put a few PSI higher than normal in, then set the pressure properly when it has cooled off.

Having a consistent walk-around routine is a good idea. Check the tires (temp and condition/damage), hubs, tie-down strap tension, winch tension, hitch+coupler, chains, PWC covers, trailer lights, trailer license plate, and so on. The whole routine takes maybe two minutes or less.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    and dont pull it with a cover on it, ..........
    Hey Ultra250 Tn, why wouldn't you want to have the cover on the ski?

I would think it would help to protect it.

Thread Information