Should I get supercharger looked at now or can I make it to the end of summer?

All
    I have an 05 RXP with approximately 80 hours on it. I bought it about 3 months ago (had about 66 hrs), and I was wondering if I could make it to the end of the summer without getting the supercharger serviced, or should I send it to Jerry now. I usually ride about 5 - 7 hours on the weekends. I currently have the metal washers in it with the metal bearings, but I I know at around 100 hours everything should be checked and bearings replaced. Also, should I stick with the metal bearings or go with the ceramics. I'm not to enthusiastic about using the ceramics, but I want to get some others opinions. What other checks, maintenance should I do at 100 hours? Thanks!

I hate things that don't work! SearayEX12's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by awague2 View Post
    All
    I have an 05 RXP with approximately 80 hours on it. I bought it about 3 months ago (had about 66 hrs), and I was wondering if I could make it to the end of the summer without getting the supercharger serviced, or should I send it to Jerry now. I usually ride about 5 - 7 hours on the weekends. I currently have the metal washers in it with the metal bearings, but I I know at around 100 hours everything should be checked and bearings replaced. Also, should I stick with the metal bearings or go with the ceramics. I'm not to enthusiastic about using the ceramics, but I want to get some others opinions. What other checks, maintenance should I do at 100 hours? Thanks!
    Jerry's turn around time is normally less than a week. So you have to do the service anyway. So you could just do it now and not have to worry about any loss in performance. other thing to check first is the slip moment on the supercharger clutch. The clutch may make it to 130 hours so i would check that first.

Banned User
    +1
    All

If you got the metal washers in, how long has it been since they were installed? You should be fine for now, but depending on the spring washers slip, you might have to have it shimmed....MEANWHILE, the ceramics are a DEFINATE upgrade...Better performance from a more aligned bearing setup, plus WAY less wear which means less slop in the rotating driveline...

Banned User
    All
    If you can afford the cost now, Get the service done. If not you'll be fine with the metal washers but being so close to the 100 hour mark you don't want to be out riding then have to deal with a slipping clutch. Trust me when the boost goes, so does the fun!

Upgrade to the ceramic bearings- run cooler and have a better service life.
    Last edited by Alex13; 05-07-2008 at 12:02 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    If you can afford the cost now, Get the service done. . Trust me when the boost goes, so does the fun!

Upgrade to the ceramic bearings- run cooler and have a better service life.
    Yes i would get it done now too if you have the money..From what your saying youll be at 100 hours in the next month..Ceramic are definatly the way to go IMO..Less resistance and longer life for sure...Send it to Jerry and you wont be disappointed..While your at it you might consider the 06 upgrade....Gives you a bigger SC shaft for more reliability...

+1
    when was the SC service done to put in metal washers, waas it already upgraded to 06 specs????
    i think you will be fine to ride one more summer, with metal washers already installed, getting it serviced is overkilled, for all you know it had the service already done at 60hrs, so you are good to 160hrs before you need to worry.
    and 100 hr service interval is pretty conservative too, just cuz a car dealership telly you to changer your oil every 3000 miles in your car does not mean you cant go 5000 without any problems...

+1
    I don't lake ride BUT, I've had to buy TOO many housings so: Every 10 new hours brgs go in.

Thanks all! I will go ahead and get the bearings changed to ceramic. I have a new set of metal washers that came with the ski: Are the washers that are installed right now still good, or should I go ahead and change them also? Besides the prevent maint to the supercharger, what other checks are maintenance should I do to the ski at 100 hours? Oil and filter should be good until the end of the summer - what besides this?

Anyone?

Thanks all! I will go ahead and get the bearings changed to ceramic. I have a new set of metal washers that came with the ski: Are the washers that are installed right now still good, or should I go ahead and change them also? Besides the prevent maint to the supercharger, what other checks are maintenance should I do to the ski at 100 hours? Oil and filter should be good until the end of the summer - what besides this?
    It's really hard for someone sitting at a computer to tell you if your metal washers are still good. A lot depends on how the ski was ridden. If it was just used for cruising, then they might still be good. If the ski was ridden WOT in the rough, then they may be worn. You can do an easy check by removing the duct to the SC and see how hard the SC impeller is to turn. You could also use a torque wrench and measure the slip. Or you could pull the SC, disassemble it, measure the washers with a micrometer and compare your reading with the Service Manual. If you don't have a service manual, there are some floating around on the Internet and some on eBay. The manual will also thell you what checks and adjustments are due at 100 hours, and how to do them... Ron

Thread Information