Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 08 ultra 250x

+1

08 ultra 250x

ive decided to buy a new ski this year,but have several questions.did kawi fix the gio problem of 07?any other problems known to the 08 models?been a long time kawasaki guy,still have an 03 STXR.

the new yamaha SHO looks to be a nice ski,but not only does any dealer ive talked to have one.they dont know when they will come in(something about a driveshaft recall).

the sea doo x boats i saw at a dealer,they look cheap and have a cheap feel to them.and at 13k are about 1-1.5k more than the yamaha/kawasaki skis.while at the dealer he said something of a recall for the x boats,not sure what the problem was.ive heard of sea doo's problems with their supercharged motors.have the problems been fixed on the new x boats?

sorry to be asking so many questions in one post,but at 11-13k for one of these skis i just would like to know if ill be spending more time looking at it in the shop as i am riding it.

I just got an '08. I love mine. I did a lot of research on this forum to help me make my decision. There's a lot of experts and long time PWC owners in this forum. (Skip, Ultra TN, Blue, Beagleman, Earthshaker) to name a few. They know their stuff.

From what I've read by the experts in here. They have fixed the GIO problem for the '08 models, and all of the other recalls that were found in the '07s.

From my research I have concluded: (Also comparing kawi to rxp, rxt, and fx sho)

-I looked into the fx sho and its toooooo big.
    -Kawi has the biggest fuel capacity. Good for long trips with buds.
    -Kawi has the biggest storage capacity. Good for hauling tons of beer.
    -Kawi will perform A LOT better in the rougher waters. REALLLY smooth ride.
    -The seadoos look really uncomfortable
    -The rxp will pull away slightly from the Kawi in calm/glassy waters. But, there's always mods to fix that. Even a modded sea doo and yami still won't compare to the kawi in rough waters b/c of Kawi's V-hull. It's awesome.
    -Kawi is cheaper than fx sho like you stated.
    -fx sho is in its first year, so be aware of first year bugs.
    -Kawi is reliable and have a 4 year warranty which is a longer warranty than yami, and sea doo, and honda.
    -service plan is awesome. (stay on top of your dealer though, make sure they check what they are supposed to check)

Getting tired of typing, going to hooters now.

I have 21 hours on my 08 and no problems so far. The 07's had some first year issues, biggest being the GIO, but 08 has a different breather setup for the crankcase I guess.
    The sea doo x's dont seem to be having any problems as they are in their 5th year of basically the same motor etc.
    If you ride rough waters, get the Kawi.
    If you are looking for highest top speed, get the sea doo x.
    If you are looking for gas mileage, probably the new honda f15x.

+1

08 250

After much research on the 250x, I bought the 08 and put on the first two hours last weekend. My buddies said the smile on my face told it all.

We rode the Mississippi last weekend, my brand new 08 250x, an 08 RXT X with about 4 hours on it and a two year old RXP. My RXT X buddy was happy for me that our two boats ran neck and neck on pretty flat water, only the RXP was easing away slightly.... Neither of our boats were modded in any way. (I've got the riva plate and filter kit to add, but haven't done that yet)

The RXT X seemed "twitchy" to me in the steering and the 250x seemed more natural in handling / carving. (we all drove each others boats)

The 250x has a bit of a sick whine when you run up the throttle, the guys wanted me to run it up a bit in reverse just so they could listen to the "snarl" I LOVE the way it sounds, way cool. It's also the best looking watercraft on the market today.... (ok, that's my bias, but I think the Kawi guys would agree with me No regrets, I love the boat and my Polaris Virage TX is up for sale!!

Steve

You should hear it when you put the little filters on the bypass and surge valves. Everyone says it sounds like a jet when going by.

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Red08Ultra250 View Post
    You should hear it when you put the little filters on the bypass and surge valves. Everyone says it sounds like a jet when going by.
    FYI, That means if that noise is coming from either of these valves under power, there is a problem. I'd bet your blowoff valve is "leaking" but i'd also bet the noise heard is from something different.

I hear and feel air from the filter towards the front (not the valve towards the back) when I rev it out of water. I guess thats the surge? Is that not suppose to be blowing air out?

I do have a block off on the way, but thats for the rear valve.

+1
    thanks to all that replied to the post.if anyone else has thoughts or opinions on their 08 ski's pls let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    thanks to all that replied to the post.if anyone else has thoughts or opinions on their 08 ski's pls let me know.
    I didnt receive yet but i ordered 12 Ultras!
    I could order SD or YAM but i prefered to go with KAWI.

My (business) criteria was reliability and value for money.

My (personal) criteria was looks, best performance in real world conditions, storage.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SE TX Rider View Post
    I just got an '08. I love mine. I did a lot of research on this forum to help me make my decision. There's a lot of experts and long time PWC owners in this forum. (Skip, Ultra TN, Blue, Beagleman, Earthshaker) to name a few. They know their stuff.
    Tex,
    I appreciate the compliment but I'm no expert by any means.
    I'm just a 45 year old kid with a fast toy (at least I feel like a kid when I'm on my ski)
    Almost all of the info I have learned has come from another forum member.
    I'm really looking forward to this summer's new tips and tricks
    Gary,
    If you are looking for a big fast ski that can carve up the rough stuff better than any other, the 250X is a good choice. It looks like Kawi fixed the GIO problem on the 08's but time will tell.
    The 250X will never be as fast as an RXP so if outright speed is your thing, it may be the best choice. Other than a small GIO problem and silicone blocking the crankcase vent tube, my 250X has been very reliable. I have not experianced any of the other first year problems forum members have reported.
    Last edited by Beagleman62; 05-08-2008 at 09:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information