Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

my take on Metallica's "My Friend Of Misery - Bass Solo"

Fixed audio Format it's Jason Newsteds bass solo well part of it let me know what you think. I messed up a few times and im not great at bass also I played this with my finger no pick.
    Last edited by Brett541; 05-07-2008 at 03:20 PM.

forgot to attach it
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    Im a bass player and manage a very large music store... Sounds like your on the rite track! I grew up playing Metallica songs before they caught gay.... Some things I can recommend... Buy yourself a Metronome... It keeps tempo when you play via a click in what ever time signature and tempo you choose... It will train you to play in time with the drums ALL the time. Look up some finger exercise's. It sounds like your left hand is cramping and not comfortable with switching positions... The exercise I do most is the "spider" Its a good work out for your hands and teaches you better control in using each of your 10 fingers individually... PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
    Good luck to you...

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    I havn't touched my bass in a few years, and before that I sucked, so take this for what it's worth. you play that song better than me

Like TJ said, it's just practice practice practice.

And now for your next assignment...Rush -- 2112 Overture! Really that's how I got better and better. Just keep playing, doing exercises and go after the best of the best. It'll amaze you how soon you catch on to things you thought were impossible!

Thanks guys, I only learned that song the day before I recorded it and I've never took lessons so I only know what I taught myself and I'm sure most of it's wrong. I practice everyday for atleast an hour I can play quite a few Chili Peppers songs and am always up for learning something new.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett541 View Post
    Thanks guys, I only learned that song the day before I recorded it and I've never took lessons so I only know what I taught myself and I'm sure most of it's wrong. I practice everyday for atleast an hour I can play quite a few Chili Peppers songs and am always up for learning something new.
    I got a challenge for you... Anastasia "Pulling teeth" Cliff Burton solo on Kill em All! Took me over a year to learn it all the way through but it was better than any lesson I ever took!!!!! And as much as I cant stand Geddy Lee's voice... yes Rush is a good work out... As is Black Sabbath... All 3 bass players are exceptional and will teach you without your realizing it....

thanks ill look into them, I agree with Rush I can't stand Geddy Lee's voice but it is some fun bass.

+1
    It took me the better part of a semester to get Dream Theater's 1892 Ov. That song could kill a man.

Quote Originally Posted by thesepaperwings View Post
    It took me the better part of a semester to get Dream Theater's 1892 Ov. That song could kill a man.
    That and also most Primus will kill a man. Primus can be done with enough practice and just not focusing too much. Primus' songs are allllllllllll about the groove you feel. Once you get to the area you feel Claypool's groove your hands just flow with it. I'll tell ya "Too Many Puppies" "John the Fisherman" and "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver" will run ya through some good exercises.

Also, check out Breaking Benjamin to improve your hammer on's. That's ALL they do. You'll need to work on those before going to Anasthesia (sp?) with Burton's solo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information