Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Inlet clearance system

Can anyone with a boat that has the ICS system on it confirm for me if you are able to pull the intake grate down by hand from underneath?
    I would think it is supposed to lock into place somehow but with mine I am able to grab and pull it down without much problem. I am thinking this is a problem cause the fin that attaches the threee tines would most likely cause enough down force to pull that sucker open at higher speeds. This would effectively act like a brake as it was dragged through the water.

Does yours lock into place?

Mine has quite a bit of tension but I can pull it down by hand. If I need to get to the pump though I ususally unbolt the ICS.

Keep in mind that it is a wire cable that ties the intake grate to the VTS, and that is you ever opened a VTS it is somewhat similar to a power window electric motor (car window regulator) in there, so it could be possible for you to pull it by hand, but honstly i wouldn't do it.

When i stuck a ski rope in the jet pump (first time lesson's learned) i simply unscrewed the little allen screw that tie the cable to the grate so that i could pull down the grate for access, then rescrewed it with a bit of 243 Loctite once done.

+1

Question

And for my own curiosity....anybody out there really knows the
    'right way' to use that feature...? ICS function.

I mean, we all know it works while in idle and in Neutral position only.....but then....what's the point...?
    You activate it and then gun it in forward to make another 6-8 feets more and then stall again deeper in weeds.....then you start it over again....? I really need to know how we are supposed to use this feature.....anybody got it in their owner's manual ? I don't have it.

Is it explained somewhere...?

the point is not to get stuck in weeds
    and to clean it you have to be on clear water again.
    the best way is to put it to neutral, press the ICS button, while its open (10 seconds) put to reverse and do some throttle till about 3000 in few sharp tries, then if necessary repeat the procedure. if still its blocked get to plane slowly then floor it. this is the final try, if it doesn't clean the intake you have to dive under the boat to clear it manually, or get to the shore to clean it on the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepster View Post
    And for my own curiosity....anybody out there really knows the
    'right way' to use that feature...? ICS function.

I mean, we all know it works while in idle and in Neutral position only.....but then....what's the point...?
    You activate it and then gun it in forward to make another 6-8 feets more and then stall again deeper in weeds.....then you start it over again....? I really need to know how we are supposed to use this feature.....anybody got it in their owner's manual ? I don't have it.

Is it explained somewhere...?

So the ICS is just a gadget...?

I never did get stuck in weeds, as when i see some i floor WOT through them or pass away them, i think the worst is just if you stop in a huge pile of weed...maybe this is when you can get stuck...?

BEWARE.....Check your ICS for issue.

I have a 2006 Challenger SC with the ICS . Since I use a boat lift to store mine on the lake, I have discovered the actuator bracket design is not sufficient to carry the cycling and stress loads.
    My ICS does not return the grate to the full closed position and hangs down below the hull (NOT GOOD HERBIE!!).
    I attempted to make a cable adjustment and it was unsucessful. After careful monitoring the system, I found that the actuator braket has a lot of flex and movement and actually bends. Looks like when winter comes I will need to pull the bracket and have an additional brace welded on to prevent flexing.

In the mean time if anyone has this same issue, I would just manually give the actuator some help when it is at the end of the closing cycle.

ALso on my unit I notice I blew a few fuses before discovering the the system did not fully close. I assume there are some contact switches and the unit keeps trying to close and over heats the circuit (poof blows the fuse!)
    I don't really use it unless I have to or I am lazy and don't wanna dive in to clean.

HAs anyone sucessfully change grates with a compatible stock grate?
    I am currently not a performance buff, since most changing end up creating more issues and failures. Since I have to launch in rather shallow water from my place I don't wanna risk an opengrate for fear of sucking in a rock! Been there and done that on my 96 challenger with a stock grate and bend the shaft too. Lake St. Clair is infested with Zebra mussels and pulling weeds or growth can wind up sucking in Zebras attached to mold unwanted objects in your grate!
    Most would probably beat me up for not tuning up my ride since I am an engine tuner in the auto industry. But give me a break, I rather spend my free time enjoying my ride rather than always repairing it.

BEWARE.....Check your ICS for issue.

I have a 2006 Challenger SC with the ICS . Since I use a boat lift to store mine on the lake, I have discovered the actuator bracket design is not sufficient to carry the cycling and stress loads.
    My ICS will not return the grate to the fully closed position and hangs down below the hull (NOT GOOD HERBIE!!).
    I attempted to make a cable adjustment and it was unsucessful. After careful monitoring the system, I found that the actuator braket has a lot of flex and movement and actually bends. Looks like when winter comes I will need to pull the bracket and have an additional brace welded on to prevent flexing.

In the mean time if anyone has this same issue, I would just manually give the actuator some help when it is at the end of the closing cycle. On that same note I notice I was blowing fuses occasionaly before discovering the the system did not fully close. I assume there are some contact switches and the unit will attempt to keep trying to close and might be over heating the circuit and ......poof blows the fuse!
    I don't really use it unless I have to or I am lazy and don't wanna dive in to clean.

HAs anyone sucessfully change grates with a compatible stock grate?
    I am currently not a performance buff, since most changing end up creating more issues and failures. Since I have to launch in rather shallow water from my place I don't wanna risk an opengrate for fear of sucking in a rock! Been there and done that on my 96 challenger with a stock grate and bend the shaft too. Lake St. Clair is infested with Zebra mussels and pulling weeds or growth can wind up sucking in Zebras attached to mold unwanted objects in your grate!
    Most would probably beat me up for not tuning up my ride since I am an engine tuner in the auto industry. But give me a break, I rather spend my free time enjoying my ride rather than always repairing it.

1. ICS DONT WORK. PERIOD... BET!!! Sorry Reid... Thats why seadoo got rid if it in '07
    2. Grate in place won't protect you from rock ingestion. Trust me I know.
    3. I realized almost 3 mph without it and much better hookup in waves.
    4. If weeds ever do get stuck in there having no grate will make it much easier to clean out.
    5. I bought and tried to fit an '07 grate to my '06. It wont fit!!!
    6. The way its mounted there on those two tiny screws scared me that it would break off and end up really screwing up the pump.

As long as I own this boat it will never have the grate on again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information