Does the "type" of battery matter?

I need a battery for a 900 stx but I priced them at walmart and 60 bucks sounds pretty steep. Why does it have to be a watercraft battery and not an ATV battery? Also, I see that there are some odysee knockoffs on ebay for cheaper, but I don't know how many cranking amps I need. Anyone have a clue?

I'm going to continue to look around, but I figured a motorcycle, atv, snowmobile, and jet ski battery are all the same. THanks for the clarification.

Someone please post on here before I got and buy a battery for the next few summers. Thanks.

battery construction is different. Marine environments, vibration, post positions are some...
    find the battery part number you need stock, then cross reference to see if the other batteries are compatible...

I really wouldn`t skimp on a watercraft battery, if it fails, your stuck...

liquid filled batteries (stock) are adequate when properly installed and the vent lines are hooked up...
    the AGM, Gel, Sealed batteries are more $$ but less worry and no jiuce to leak out...
    it all depends on what`s important to you...

Is there an easy way to find out what size battery mine came with? I've looked on kawasaki's website with little luck. I'm guessing it is either a 12 or 16 l-bs but I'm not sure. I've found a few cross refrence charts online, but I don't know how much I trust them.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jclaudii View Post
    Is there an easy way to find out what size battery mine came with? I've looked on kawasaki's website with little luck.
    I'm guessing it is either a 12 or 16 l-bs but I'm not sure.
    I've found a few cross refrence charts online, but I don't know how much I trust them.
    I am not a Kawasaki owner, but many PWC take the same 'PWC size' battery;

Here is some info I posted regarding the East Penn Deka AGM battery, which I find to be well made.

More battery related info, including the AGM battery I use; Deka ETX16L, which is rated as a 19AMP-hour battery.

If you can measure the physical space the battery mounts in, that can be a solid clue regarding what battery size it needs.

The Deka ETX16L is about 7x4x6 inches, and it comes with a 3/4" tall plastic spacer that can be placed under the battery, for applications that need the battery to occupy the 7 inch height of the older lead-acid battery type.

The slightly smaller ETX20LM is 7x3.5x6 inches.

Note that AGM batteries tend to be a little heavier than a basic lead-acid battery of the same electrical capacity.

SkiOnDaBrain
    Go to any auto parts store. They have batteries that are made for PWC's. I just bought a sealed no-maint battery for $70. That's a little expensive but you don't want to skimp on a battery.

Thread Information