Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    To HE77 with Georgia!

Question New to the boards, have a couple ?'s

Hey guys, I've been reading through here for a couple days now. I can tell this board is going to help me out a LOT. I've already had a couple of epiphanies.

I just got my first ski 2 weeks ago. It's a '96 SL900, the motor was replaced prior to the last owner purchasing the ski. He replaced the drive shaft and impeller, due, I think, to the splines being damaged. He claims he rode it once since he purchased it 3 or 4 years ago, and his daughter only rode it once last season. It appeared in great shape for it's age, and I got it on the water to try before I took it. Seemed to work great. Got it and a ComFab trailer for $1440, felt that was a great price.

Now, the questions:

1. The MFD is going out a bit. The top parts of the letters/numbers don't darken/illuminate, but otherwise it seems to work just fine. I'm assuming the only way this might be solved is with a new MFD. But I might cut it open and look to clean the ribbon contacts between the display and the circuit board. Any suggestions?

2. Thw owner's manual states there is an in-line fuel filter, but I can't seem to find one. There's the feul/water separater, but nothing else. I figure this is an error in the manual, as the service manual posted on Matt's(?) FTP site doesn't show an inline fuel filter in the diagrams for the fuel assembly on the SL900. Ditto for having a Reserve setting on my fuel selector knob. Manual claims it's there, but it's not. I believe also (haven't looked since i started reading here) that my tank only has 3 lines going in/out of it, which would point to there being no reserve. Any other '96 SL900 owners care to offer their observations, please?

3. I found a small diameter clear (though yellowing) tube that's not connected to anything at either end, though it might have been connected to something inside, up near where the gas tank vent tube goes (When I was trying to trace it, I thought I saw it fall, but I wasn't pulling on it that hard). There's already a clear tube with a screen cap on the end plugged into the bilge pump, I'm assuming to drain the port-stern, as the drain opening is on the starboard side. Any thoughts on what this mystery tube is/was for?

4. When I had it on the water, it seemed to get to full throttle pretty well, but when going from WOT running to idle, and then after a few seconds, back to WOT, the engine just does not respond. I had to back off to mid-throttle or so, and then it came to life and I could put it right back to WOT. I'm assuming a bit of tuning is in order, and I plan to look through all the posts on that, but if you have any observations about this behavior, please lend me advice, I don't have anyone else to give it to me!

5. Lastly, (at least for now ) the seat has spotty mildew stains on it. I tried Simple Green near full strength with a stiff brushing, and it didn't budge. It's not horrific, but if I clean and wax my ski, it'll be the only thing keeping it from looking good when you get up close. Is there any magic potion or method out there to remove the spots?

Thanks guys! I'm aware of the search function(I use it religiously here and on the forums for my car), and I've been using it looking for info on the reserve topic to no avail. And besides, this is my first official post, I figured I get one freebie without being flamed over not searching the info exhaustively, right?

Ok, sorry for the long post, I appreciate any and all insight!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_Rambo View Post
    Hey guys, I've been reading through here for a couple days now. I can tell this board is going to help me out a LOT. I've already had a couple of epiphanies.

I just got my first ski 2 weeks ago. It's a '96 SL900, the motor was replaced prior to the last owner purchasing the ski. He replaced the drive shaft and impeller, due, I think, to the splines being damaged. He claims he rode it once since he purchased it 3 or 4 years ago, and his daughter only rode it once last season. It appeared in great shape for it's age, and I got it on the water to try before I took it. Seemed to work great. Got it and a ComFab trailer for $1440, felt that was a great price. Good price.

Now, the questions:

1. The MFD is going out a bit. The top parts of the letters/numbers don't darken/illuminate, but otherwise it seems to work just fine. I'm assuming the only way this might be solved is with a new MFD. But I might cut it open and look to clean the ribbon contacts between the display and the circuit board. Any suggestions? Some peeps have had success cleaning there is a how to in the tech section.

2. Thw owner's manual states there is an in-line fuel filter, but I can't seem to find one. There's the feul/water separater, but nothing else. I figure this is an error in the manual, as the service manual posted on Matt's(?) FTP site doesn't show an inline fuel filter in the diagrams for the fuel assembly on the SL900. Ditto for having a Reserve setting on my fuel selector knob. Manual claims it's there, but it's not. I believe also (haven't looked since i started reading here) that my tank only has 3 lines going in/out of it, which would point to there being no reserve. Any other '96 SL900 owners care to offer their observations, please? The FTP manual is correct..

3. I found a small diameter clear (though yellowing) tube that's not connected to anything at either end, though it might have been connected to something inside, up near where the gas tank vent tube goes (When I was trying to trace it, I thought I saw it fall, but I wasn't pulling on it that hard). There's already a clear tube with a screen cap on the end plugged into the bilge pump, I'm assuming to drain the port-stern, as the drain opening is on the starboard side. Any thoughts on what this mystery tube is/was for? Battery vent.

4. When I had it on the water, it seemed to get to full throttle pretty well, but when going from WOT running to idle, and then after a few seconds, back to WOT, the engine just does not respond. I had to back off to mid-throttle or so, and then it came to life and I could put it right back to WOT. I'm assuming a bit of tuning is in order, and I plan to look through all the posts on that, but if you have any observations about this behavior, please lend me advice, I don't have anyone else to give it to me!

Clean the carbs and inspect the fuel system.

5. Lastly, (at least for now ) the seat has spotty mildew stains on it. I tried Simple Green near full strength with a stiff brushing, and it didn't budge. It's not horrific, but if I clean and wax my ski, it'll be the only thing keeping it from looking good when you get up close. Is there any magic potion or method out there to remove the spots? magic eraser.

Thanks guys! I'm aware of the search function(I use it religiously here and on the forums for my car), and I've been using it looking for info on the reserve topic to no avail. And besides, this is my first official post, I figured I get one freebie without being flamed over not searching the info exhaustively, right? Freebie is now exhausted

Ok, sorry for the long post, I appreciate any and all insight!!
    Welcome to the hulk. buckle up and enjoy the ride.

To HE77 with Georgia!
    So that loose tube was probably the battery vent, to keep hydrogen gas seeping from the battery from making my new toy go BOOM. Was it probably piped up near where the fuel vent exits the hull?

And Magic Eraser.. like the big Pink type? Or like Mr. Clean's 'Magic Eraser'?

Thanks for the welcome.

+1
    So that loose tube was probably the battery vent, to keep hydrogen gas seeping from the battery from making my new toy go BOOM. Was it probably piped up near where the fuel vent exits the hull? Yes the opposite side. Item #12 two each.

And Magic Eraser.. like the big Pink type? Or like Mr. Clean's 'Magic Eraser'? Yes.

Thanks for the welcome.
    http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp

To HE77 with Georgia!
    Awesome.. I guess either type of eraser? Or did you not mean to be ambiguous..

+1
    I have used the Mr. Clean's 'Magic Eraser' with good results.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!
    Hey guys, I've been reading through here for a couple days now. I can tell this board is going to help me out a LOT. I've already had a couple of epiphanies...

1. The MFD is going out a bit. The top parts of the letters/numbers don't darken/illuminate, but otherwise it seems to work just fine. I'm assuming the only way this might be solved is with a new MFD.
    But I might cut it open and look to clean the ribbon contacts between the display and the circuit board. Any suggestions?
    There are a couple of good threads on opening up and refurbishing the MFD.
    The hardest part is carefully cutting it open. Keep the interior of the MFD clean, and seal it up well when you're done .
    You can dry out and re-use the descinant pack.
    Be VERY clean (no lint, no fingerprints) when working with the electronic board and LCD contacts.

2. ... Reserve setting on my fuel selector knob. Manual claims it's there, but it's not.
    I believe also (haven't looked since i started reading here) that my tank only has 3 lines going in/out of it, which would point to there being no reserve.
    Instead of a reserve selector, you have bright red light on the MFD that tells you when the fuel level is getting down.

3. I found a small diameter clear (though yellowing) tube that's not connected to anything at either end, though it might have been connected to something inside, up near where the gas tank vent tube goes (When I was trying to trace it, I thought I saw it fall, but I wasn't pulling on it that hard). There's already a clear tube with a screen cap on the end plugged into the bilge pump, I'm assuming to drain the port-stern, as the drain opening is on the starboard side. Any thoughts on what this mystery tube is/was for?
    Zip-tie that vent tube back onto the hull fitting. Might want to snug it onto the battery nipple too. These tubes fall off too easily.
    When it comes time to replace the battery, I suggest you spend the money for a good AGM type battery. No vent, no possibility of acid spillage, excellent starting power, long storage life, and very rugged.
    To extend the life of any PWC battery, get and use a good quality battery charger/maintainer, and use it whenever the ski is going to be idle for more than a week or three.

5. ...Is there any magic potion or method out there to remove the spots?
    If you take the time to also clean up the hull interior (if it needs it), it will make working in there that much more pleasant, especially when you drop parts and tools, or just want to monitor for water leaks, drips, and such.

I put mine on the trailer, poor in some bleach, LOTS of Simple Green, and some warm water (just a couple of inches inside the hull, drain plugs IN), and take it for a drive around town. Sloshes around and cleans up quite nicely, followed by tipping the nose way up, and hot water hosing it all out.
    Elbow grease and scrubbing with Simple Green for the tough spots, and it should look pretty good!

Thanks guys! I'm aware of the search function (I use it religiously here and on the forums for my car), and I've been using it looking for info on the reserve topic to no avail. ..
    Good to hear! There is a LOT of good info on here, but sometimes it can take some thoughtful hunting to suss it out.

MFD

1. The MFD is going out a bit. The top parts of the letters/numbers don't darken/illuminate, but otherwise it seems to work just fine. I'm assuming the only way this might be solved is with a new MFD. But I might cut it open and look to clean the ribbon contacts between the display and the circuit board. Any suggestions?
    This is an easy fix. Just go by Christians instructions; BUT- cut the case open right behind the black lip that the clear lens is glued to. Much easier as you dont have to worry about hurting the lens. Clean the contacts and it'll work like new. Glued mine back together w/ black silicone clamped overnight. Could hardly tell it had been apart.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk...pics please...

+1
    Hi gt, I'd also like to say WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums.
    Looks like everybody has you covered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information