Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

2002 Virage TXI wont stay running DI

I'm a doo guy but I'm working on this for a friend. I heard all the polaris guys were over here at the hulk, I'm normally on PWCToday... First, I got no spark until I unplugged the reverse switch. Now it will start but it wont stay running unless I keep the start button pressed, as soon as I let up on the button, she cuts off. I'm thinking its the start/stop controller module. Is there a way to bybass it or test the module. Also where is the best place to buy polaris parts.
    Thanks
    Joe

+1
    Joe, if you press and hold the bilge pump button will it stay running?

+1
    Do you mean push the start button, hold down the bilge button, then release the start button and see if it stays running??

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ncdoo View Post
    Do you mean push the start button, hold down the bilge button, then release the start button and see if it stays running?
    Hold the bilge button the whole time.

+1
    I think I tried that, and it still cuts off when I released the start button.
    Last edited by ncdoo; 05-09-2008 at 09:35 AM.

+1
    So does that mean its not the start/stop module?

+1
    You have looked at the Fuse for the start system ?The start system gets voltage from the bilge pump when you push the bilge button .It is an easy check
    LR module
    Bernie

+1
    No fuses on this model, just two manual reset cuircuit breakers. One is for the bilge pump circuit and the other for the fuel pump circuit. They both check good. What do you mean " It is an easy check LR module " How do you check it? Like I said, it'll start and run as long as you keep the start button pushed. Soon as you release it, no power. Which seems to mean that what ever switches the power over when the engine starts is not functioning, and from what i'm reading the LR module does that. I was just wondering if there was a test, or someway to bybass the LR module to verify that it was actually the problem before I ordered one.
    Thanks
    Last edited by ncdoo; 05-09-2008 at 11:50 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ncdoo View Post
    ...What do you mean "It is an easy check LR module"?
    How do you check it?

Like I said, it'll start and run as long as you keep the start button pushed. Soon as you release it, no power. Which seems to mean that what ever switches the power over when the engine starts is not functioning, and from what I'm reading the LR module does that. I was just wondering if there was a test, or someway to bypass the LR module to verify that it was actually the problem before I ordered one.
    Thanks
    Have you looked at the 2002 Service manual, pages 7.12 and 7.13?

Looking at the schematic for the LR 503 module (attached), the Black/Yellow wire seems to be the connection between the Start/Stop function of the voltage regulator and the EMM.

The Yellow wire provides RPM signal to the MFI and the EMM, so that will affect the EMM if it thought the engine was not rotating.

Manual says;
    1. The LR module recognizes when the tachometer signal, YEL wire, is above a specified RPM and therefore the
    engine is running. (DI models only.)

2. When the lanyard is removed, the engine kill circuit is closed, which grounds the BLK/YEL circuit and tells the
    EMM module to kill the ignition system and stop the engine.

3. When the start/stop button is pressed while the engine is running, the LR module circuitry will ground the
    BLK/YEL circuit because of the tachometer input. (DI models only.)

When the engine IS running, do you see RPM on the MFI?

If there is no RPM signal on the Yellow wire to the EMM, then the engine will not stay running. The Yellow wire comes from the stator coil, and also provides the AC charging power, which the voltage regulator converts to DC.

There is a splice connector where three yellow wires (Y1, Y2, Y3) are connected together. Check that connection.

Attached photos show the splice connection. On my 2002 Virage TXi, it is located near the fuel tank, underneath the EMM.

If the splice connection seems good, then I suggest you check the Yellow wires and stator coil for resistance, and proper AC voltage when the engine is running.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5099874b.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	72009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5099875b.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	72010  
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    Looking at the schematic for the LR module, I think you’re right. If the MFI or EMM doesn’t detect that the engine is running by an rpm reading, the engine will cut off. But I don’t think that’s the problem because the MFI is showing the rpms when it does run. Is there a reason why no one suspects the LR module? Am I missing something? What if I take the black/white wire going into the LR module and run it to ground. Shouldn’t that by-pass the module? I will check that yellow connector.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information