Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Done bashing

Done bashing

Well...I posted my dealer issues and took some of your advice and went back down to the dealer...with my boats after checking the oil level at home as suggested...WAY overfilled...super thin film...wreaked of fuel...Dealer admits ther is a GIO problem and offers to look at it with no $100hr water test.... there actually ok guys.......Soo I want to ride this weekend and figured I'll change the oil and filter myself..Well there was about 7 quarts in the 1st ski...the oil filter smelled like a fuel filter...put 4.25 quarts of Amsoil syn. back in and the level was perfect till I rode for about 1 hour today and the level has increased...this is a real PIA...now I know what all you posters have been bitchen about...I'm sure I'm all junked up..hopefully my dealer will crack the intercooler and clean it and check the bov and relief valves... the other ski has perfect oil level and minor fuel smell....thanks for all the great info here..it gave me some great insight on the problem.

4.25 quarts is probably still too much oil. Mine takes about 3.75 to 4.0 quarts while changing oil. My level seems to change but its not the gio. After change i get to the perfect level (see link below) and then ride and recheck. Seems high. Start ski on trailer for about 30 seconds then let sit several hours and recheck. Dont forget to level motor with a level before checking. Seems like oil has returned to correct level. Read this thread....http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33834

David
    Last edited by halfassjack; 05-09-2008 at 08:34 PM.

what is your definition/level of "over filling"? Would it be, past the top indention on the cool side of the dipstick?

suggestion - while the engine is level, fill to the bottom of cold at cold on the stock dipstick.... should be approximately 3.85 quarts when you do not also change the oil filter.

Clearly, the GIO issue IS an issue in many Kawasaki Ultra 250x..................
    I have spent many many hundereds of dollars addressing the issue. I have found only one solution, when the oil smells like fuel, change it. You MUST be vigalent about checking and smelling the dipstick. Hey, I love the boat and I suck it up and suck up the cost of the frequent oil changes - what the he-- else are we going to do?? By the way, if you haven't already done so, go out and buy an oil sucker so you can do your own changes.

The R&D crankcase ventilation system does address the issue but some engines continue to have residual (less pronounced but still there / than prior to installation) issues after installing the kit - I am one of them. Regardless, the R&D system is a good step in the right direction and I recommend it. By lots of 5.00 a quart oil.... and change frequently. Right now, that is the only solid solution.
    Last edited by Socaloffshore; 05-09-2008 at 10:58 PM.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Why are you spending 5 bucks a quart? the Kawi oil is like 3.25 a quart..........

Quote Originally Posted by Socaloffshore View Post
    suggestion - while the engine is level, fill to the bottom of cold at cold on the stock dipstick.... should be approximately 3.85 quarts when you do not also change the oil filter.

Clearly, the GIO issue IS an issue in many Kawasaki Ultra 250x..................
    I have spent many many hundereds of dollars addressing the issue. I have found only one solution, when the oil smells like fuel, change it. You MUST be vigalent about checking and smelling the dipstick. Hey, I love the boat and I suck it up and suck up the cost of the frequent oil changes - what the he-- else are we going to do?? By the way, if you haven't already done so, go out and buy an oil sucker so you can do your own changes.
    Skip said that you cannot suspect GIO from the smell...

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SE TX Rider View Post
    No hes said from smelling the oil cap...........

you need to smell the actual oil

ahhh....sorry. i need to re-read the posts next time!

Quote Originally Posted by SE TX Rider View Post
    Yes, but I think he was issuing a general caution only. I know better than to rely blindly on my own senses. But if youre careful you can get useful info.

Every time my dealer changes oil, I examine dipstick in parking lot, on level. I check level, color and smell. New oil is deep golden brown, its thick and clings to the stick, distinctive sweet petroleum smell.

Then re-check after every use. I can sometimes see and smell a big difference. If smell of gas completely overpowers sweet smell of oil then I'm gonna worry. Same thing if deep golden brown turns to thin black liquid.

I agree with SoCal that the oil changes are not that big of a deal if thats what it takes to keep Ultra happy. Cant take the crown off the King of Chop over oil changes.

Sweet smell

Thanks for all the input....but ther got to be a way to rid this problem from these motors...I mean I have only 1 hr. on my fresh change and the oil is thin and smells more like gas than oil...the color has changed...who the frack knows what the correct level is...I put 4.25 quarts in it and took almost 7 out...it should NOT be this hard to keep clean oil in these skis...I am now leaning torwards this as being the culprit for my performance decrease....I mean it still runs ok..but it does not rip like it did...maybe I have a bad ring or something..guess I pull the plugs and check them out..I'll let the dealer do a leakdown and see if any damage has been done...this is a real joke on us all with 07's...It shall be interesting to see what satifaction I get when I take this unit in....the other seems fine with very little GIO...but perfomance is down on this unit too..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information