Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    To HE77 with Georgia!

SL900- Larger fuel tank

I couldn't help but notice my fuel cell is quite small, comparatively speaking. Are there any tanks out there that drop into the 900SL? I'm thinking since mine is a 96, a newer SL900 with the reserve feature might be a future investment. I like the idea of having a reserve, a slap in the face reminder to stop dickin' around and get re-fueled. Any thoughts or input?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_Rambo View Post
    I couldn't help but notice my fuel cell is quite small, comparatively speaking.
    Are there any tanks out there that drop into the 900SL?
    I'm thinking since mine is a 96, a newer SL900 with the reserve feature might be a future investment.
    I like the idea of having a reserve...
    Your 1996 doesn't have a reserve?

The 1997 and newer have a warning light on the MFD (all models?), but no separate reserve fuel selector position.
    The fuel filler position changed after 1996.

According to the 1992-1998 Service manual, the 1996 SL900 fuel tank capacity is 9.8 gallons (1995-1996 SL only).

1997 SL900 holds 12.5 gallons (1997 SL only).

1998-2001 SL also 12.5 gallons, but a different part number.

The SLT tanks tend to be larger than SL tanks - not sure if it would fit your hull.
    Last edited by K447; 05-10-2008 at 10:06 AM.

To HE77 with Georgia!
    The 97 with the different filler position looks identical to the 96 but for the filler. Maybe the new position allowed the tank to be filled higher? Looks like the filler neck on the 96 leaves plenty of air above it.. perhaps I'll try adding a couple gallons on the boat launch next time.

+1
    The 97 with the different filler position looks identical to the 96 but for the filler.
    Similar, but perhaps not identical. The '97 tank looks a little wider at the rear in the drawing, might be a tad taller in the center section too.

Maybe the new position allowed the tank to be filled higher?
    Looks like the filler neck on the 96 leaves plenty of air above it.. perhaps I'll try adding a couple gallons on the boat launch next time.
    Someone who parts these things out frequently might be able to comment on what fuel tank swaps could work for your '96 SL900, to maximize fuel capacity.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Someone who parts these things out frequently might be able to comment on what fuel tank swaps could work for your '96 SL900, to maximize fuel capacity.
    paging jabbas http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/member.php?u=6761
    or zigler http://greenhulk.net/forums/member.php?u=1547
    they should have some laying around to compare
    mattman

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

tanks

if i remember right,the 9.8 gallon will come out thru the hood opening,the 12.3 has to have the motor removed to install it.get a 2 gallon plastic fuel container and bungee it in the front,first chance you get pour it in,i do that to the pro when riding lake austin,i'm able to get in longer rides that way

To HE77 with Georgia!
    Pictures?? I've considered the prospect of simply removing the storage area when I'm just out joyriding, and finding the largest fuel container I can safely secure in the space available.

+1
    Pictures?? I've considered the prospect of simply removing the storage area when I'm just out joyriding, and finding the largest fuel container I can safely secure in the space available.
    Perhaps you could find a REAL PWC fuel tank (Polaris or other) that would fit the storage space, and properly mount it in there.

Then you could use a fuel selector switch to change tanks, and just keep riding.

Whatever you put in there, be sure it is up to the abuse and pounding a PWC fuel tank has to take. Support it well, so the sloshing fuel weight doesn't deform/crack the tank.

What you do not want is many gallons of fuel leaking into your bilge, with you sitting right on top of it all.

Somewhere around here is a thread about a Yamaha SUV (I think it was) that the owner mounted two additional fuel tanks in the rear storage areas.

To HE77 with Georgia!
    Yeah, trust me, I would respect gasoline's power and ensure any solution I might pursue is going to keep me safe. I'm ok with refueling more often, it's just a headache right now where the water levels are so low around here, the walk from the water line to my car has been increased from 100 yards or less to anywhere from a few hundred yards or more.

The amount of boat launch areas that reach the water are so few that parking is very hard to come by on the weekend. They've expanded somewhat, but it's in more remote areas of the park area. Walking from my ski to my car, then back carrying 10 gallons of fuel, then back to my car and back to my ski one more time.. that's a lot of time leaving my ski in a very busy area. Not to mention a general inconvienience.. what I need to do is locate and get familiar with the places to fuel up ON the water, and just carry my credit card with me... it'd be worth an extra 5 bucks on top of a $35 fill up to save the hassle of storing 2 6-gallon gas cans in my car and having to leave my windows cracked.

+1
    Yeah, trust me, I would respect gasoline's power and ensure any solution I might pursue is going to keep me safe. ...save the hassle of storing 2 6-gallon gas cans in my car and having to leave my windows cracked.
    Are you carrying gasoline filled containers in the passenger compartment of your car, not the trunk?

Not a safe thing to do. Collisions happen, containers rupture. You just do not want gasoline inside the car...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information