Battery question

If i'm not using the seadoo for like 2 weeks or a month, am i supposed to take the negative terminal out so it doesn't drain the battery. I dunno if it works the same way as cars or not. I don't mean putting it away for the winter and triggle charge. So if i leave it in there, it would be fine for a month even though i might not use it.

I'm all out of favors!!
    Any lead acid battery is going to discharge at a rate of up 20% per month, hooked up or not, add the current draw to keep time on the clock function of the info guage (if equipped) and watch that 20% go to like 40% (hooked up of course). Disconnecting the battery isn't going to keep it from loosing charge, but it'll help. Hope this helps.

I would hook it up to a battery tender OR disconnect the neg wire. It may hold for 1 month but better safe than be without a battery.

I say just ride it!!!!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxpx2008 View Post
    If I'm not using the seadoo for like 2 weeks or a month, am i supposed to take the negative terminal off so it doesn't drain the battery? ...
    As others have said, a regular lead-acid battery can self-discharge fairly quickly in a PWC that is just sitting.

Installing a good quality AGM battery will minimize the self discharge rate, and using a good quality battery maintainer (if you can) will keep the battery fully charged, even with the PWC connected to the battery.

If you can't put it on a maintainer, then either disconnect the negative post, or install an AGM battery, which should hold enough charge to last for several weeks.

Edit: You could install a battery cut-off switch, which does the same thing as removing a battery connection, but is quick and clean to use. Just turn the switch, and the battery is disconnected from the ski. Turn it back, and the battery is reconnected, ready to go.

Regular lead-acid type batteries do not like to be deeply discharged, as it shortens their life. Even if your regular battery does hold enough power to handle sitting there for weeks, then fully recharges when you ride it next time, it is still going to provide a short(er) life.

What you really want to avoid is a battery failure while you are out on the water. Even if the battery manages to start the ski at the dock after sitting for several weeks, that doesn't mean it will always start it next time, if it is internally dying from multiple deep discharge cycles.

Dead on the water is not good. Install a top shelf AGM battery, keep it charged as best you can. Be aware of any change in battery performance (slower cranking, slower starts). Charge or change the battery at the first sign of battery weakness.
    Last edited by K447; 05-11-2008 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Added battery switch info

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by sonny//414\\ View Post
    Any lead acid battery is going to discharge at a rate of up 20% per month, hooked up or not, add the current draw to keep time on the clock function of the info guage (if equipped) and watch that 20% go to like 40% (hooked up of course). Disconnecting the battery isn't going to keep it from loosing charge, but it'll help. Hope this helps.
    If my Deka ETX16L discharges @ 20% per month, then how can it still have 12.10 volts after sitting 1 year in my shop disconnected?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    If my Deka ETX16L discharges @ 20% per month, then how can it still have 12.10 volts after sitting 1 year in my shop disconnected?
    That Deka ETX16L would be an AGM battery. I think AGM batteries don't self discharge quite as fast as regular lead-acid batteries.

According to this document (page 13) from East Penn, 12.00 volts would indicate 25% charge remaining, and 12.30 volts indicates 50% charge.

Page 11 says it should have about 50% charge remaining after about 10 months at 86F, and would retain more charge if the temp is cooler.

Your numbers seem to add up - 12 months of AGM self discharge and you have about 35% charge remaining.

When connected up in the PWC, the real question is how much quiescent current draw is present.

We know it shouldn't take much power to simply run a digital clock, since many household digital clocks can run for a year or more on a single AA battery.

To gauge the battery discharge rate accurately, you would either need to have the technical info from the PWC manufacturer, or put a current meter on it and monitor it for a while to see what current is being consumed.
    Last edited by K447; 05-10-2008 at 04:21 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxpx2008 View Post
    If i'm not using the seadoo for like 2 weeks or a month, am i supposed to take the negative terminal out so it doesn't drain the battery. I dunno if it works the same way as cars or not. I don't mean putting it away for the winter and triggle charge. So if i leave it in there, it would be fine for a month even though i might not use it.
    Yes, If you don't plan to ride for a bit, undoo the neg terminal at a min. The electrical system will draw on the battery.
    -if more than two weeks, before pulling the neg. terminal, shoot some fogging oil in the spark plug holes and bump the starter.
    -if need be: don't "jump start" and pull the pos. before attaching charger.

Do yourself a favor and buy a Deka(or other AGM/gell).
    -RQ's example of one year w/no charge is extreme, but proves a point. His Deka will start a ski now and charge up to 12.8volts. A lead-plate battery would charge to 11.8 volts, get hot and start nothing! ever again!
    -the Deka will cost ~2X $ of a Walmart battery and last 3-5X longer.

Thread Information