+1

Another trailer question

Greetings--

I pulled the trailer with another Explorer the other day. Its hitch is several inches lower than my usual tow vehicle's. I didnt notice the trailer "pushing/pulling" as we drove . What I am trying to describe is that I can usually feel the trailer back there. I didn't this time. It was smoother.

When I used my regular tow vehicle ( a newer Explorer), I noticed it again.

Is this an issue related to tounge weight not being correct ? I used a bathroom scale under the tounge jack and it as about 200 #, which is about 10%. The trailer is almost level on this vehicle.

Comments ??

What is happening with the Explorer, is that since the hitch is lower the center of gravity (And the weight associated with it), is shifted forward. That is giving you more tongue weight than on your usual tow vehicle.

More tongue wieght will translate into a smoother ride, and less "jiggling" on the receiver hitch. The jiggling is coming from the lack of tongue weight on your usual tow vehicle. When you are going over bumps in the road, the front of the trailer hitch jumps a bit and makes a rattling sound.

Ideally, the trailer hitch beam should be level or very slightly forward. If it is tilted back, you will get rattling on the receiver, and the trailer will sway more than if it is level.

Get your usual tow vehicle receiver fitted with a drop hitch and it will pull just like the Exploder

Good luck,,,,,,,,,,,, we're all counting on you

Jeff: I have our trailer set up properly, correct height ball mount and such, and the coupler does bang over bumps. I can`t really move the ski forward anymore. And I can`t stop it from bouncing when is hits divots in the road. That`s driving me crazy... any ideas?...PR...

here's a pic of the hitch I use... I can't feel my ski at all, sometimes I forget it's back there.
    I am assuming it's because I am towing it with a hummer, probably doesn't matter what my hitch is
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trailer_hitch_551.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	4260  

Wave: I looked at that, it doesn`t work for us. I need it to be right where the square vertical tube is...
    A 2" drop with the 12" tire/wheels is the ticket behind the Nissan Xterra!...PR...

Central Arkansas or Missouri on lake of the Ozarks, Table Rock, Bull Shoals
    I thought hummers were gutless wonders.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider
    Jeff: I have our trailer set up properly, correct height ball mount and such, and the coupler does bang over bumps. I can`t really move the ski forward anymore. And I can`t stop it from bouncing when is hits divots in the road. That`s driving me crazy... any ideas?...PR...
    PR, was your draw bar banging inside the receiver? Mine was doing that rattling up a storm over bumps. I wrapped the draw bar with a few wraps of electrical tape and the banging went away.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider
    PR, was your draw bar banging inside the receiver? Mine was doing that rattling up a storm over bumps. I wrapped the draw bar with a few wraps of electrical tape and the banging went away.
    Doug
    It`s not really that bad. I know what you mean, I had to install metal (.032) shims in one, on all four sides, that`s how bad it was! On the smooth to moderate roads the trailer tows perfect. On ruts and bumps and crappy and I mean the bozo`s around here do not know how to fix the road crappy, the trailer bounces and leaves the ground, it`s knocking the crap out of our ski, so Today I talked to Derrick about a dif trailer, so I got some brochure`s on Triton and load-rite... I already had 2 load-rites for another ski, and I think they blow!...PR...

Thread Information