Steering nozzle.

Do the skis have the same kind of steering nozzle as shown in the picture.
    It is from a C180 that looses alot of RPMs in hard turns. The ridges on the sides that make an oval seem to me like they would block the stream of water on hard turns.
    I was thinking of porting the nozzle to make it more round than oval. There is about a half an inch of material here so I don't think it would weaken it.
    Just wondering before I get out the grinder if the skis have the same kind of setup? If so what would be the purpose?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nozzle.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	72338  

I can't help you but I'm sure a resident pro will be able to sneak away from the mrs/mom sometime today.

I found my answer. See attached pdf.
    Any real world testimonials?
    Attached Files Attached Files

$140 for a bolt on 1-2mph gain ain't a bad deal.

I found out the real answer to my original question about why our steering nozzle venturi has ridges on the inside.They are to ease the effort it takes to turn the steering wheel.

Here is a link to the bombardier patent for the design http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6102756.html

and a quote from the patent.

Abstract
    A turning-aid nozzle mounted in the region of the outlet of a watercraft's propulsion system comprises a starboard inner surface and a port inner surface protruding radially inwardly from the nozzle in such a manner as to obstruct the flow of water from the watercraft's propulsion system. When turning to port, the starboard inner surface obstructs a portion of the water jet exiting the propulsion system, thereby producing an additional turning moment that aids the nozzle in turning to port. Similarly, when turning to starboard, the port inner surface obstructs a portion of the water jet exiting the propulsion system, thereby producing an additional turning moment that aids the nozzle in turning to starboard.

"Obstruct the flow of water" doesn't sound too attractive to me but I wonder how hard it would actually be to turn without these ridges. I still haven't ported mine yet but will try this weekend. If it ends up being too hard to turn at least its only a hundred bucks for a new one.[/quote]

That's a good find, seems you had to dig deep for that. How hard can it make it to turn by not having those? I suspect just barely more effort. I have a venturi and nozzle from a GTX-SC on my boat. It has the ridges, and is, in fact, exactly like my OEM one, except the venturi is ported out to 83mm instead of 84mm. A while back, I bought one of those R&D Extended Steering Nozzles (RXP), but it wouldn't fit on my venturi, and was the same length as my OEM nozzle anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by cfnnslsq View Post
    I still haven't ported mine yet but will try this weekend. If it ends up being too hard to turn at least its only a hundred bucks for a new one.
    [/quote]
    Thanks!! Keep us posted!!

Thread Information