Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

URGENT! Important info for RXP-X owners - Overstuff Issue

As many of you already know, cutting the wings off of the stock intake grate brings about more speed but can also cause an overstuff issue which will toss the rider. This is an extremely dangerous condition as it happens at high speed and there is nothing you can do to hold onto the ski.

The following "free mod" I am posting here might help this condition. Note that i stress "might" help as i have never tried this on a RXP-X yet.

We have done this mod on regular RXP's that run in the 85+++ mph range to help relieve pump pressure and it actually gives us about 100 more RPM's and a speed gain of 1 mph.

For you guys thinking you will do this mod to your less than 85 MPH RXP don't even bother trying it. It will not work and you will possibly lose speed.

I'm posting this info in hopes that someone with a RXP-X with a bucking/overstuff issue might try this and hopefully it works and will prevent someone from getting hurt in the future.

This mod is nothing new. The old Kawi ZXI's came with these holes drilled from the factory to prevent the same exact overstuff issue our guys with the fast RXP-X skis are seeing. Some of the Yamaha guys, including myself have been drilling holes in their pump shoes to prevent the overstuff issue. It works!!!

On the 85+ mph RXP's we are drilling 3/8" holes. Feel free to drill whatever size you want but i can tell you this size works great on our skis.

The pictures explain everyhing but basically what you want to do is drill two 3/8" holes thru the grate and then up thru the plastic pump shoe.

If anyone tries this on a RXP-X please be sure to share your findings on this thread.

Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	513 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	72353   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	714 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	72354   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	766 
Size:	168.6 KB 
ID:	72355  

BLACK MAGIC HEADERS hydrojunkie's Avatar
    +1
    awesome thanks jerry. so if they cut the wings off, you must drill the wholes. IT MAY WORK....

WHAT WE NOW NEED IS SOMEONE WITH THE BUCKING ISSUE TO TRY IT AND SEE IF THE BUCK GOES AWAY..

+1
    Do you angle it or straight up?

Quote Originally Posted by hydrojunkie View Post
    ...WHAT WE NOW NEED IS SOMEONE WITH THE BUCKING ISSUE TO TRY IT AND SEE IF THE BUCK GOES AWAY..

Hmm...let's see....I damned near killed myself....so let me shoot for the exact same conditions and see if I can do it again...and walk away.

One reason I could never be a test pilot.

Cudo's to those that are.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    As many of you already know, cutting the wings off of the stock intake grate brings about more speed but can also cause an overstuff issue which will toss the rider. This is an extremely dangerous condition as it happens at high speed and there is nothing you can do to hold onto the ski.

The following "free mod" I am posting here might help this condition. Note that i stress "might" help as i have never tried this on a RXP-X yet.

We have done this mod on regular RXP's that run in the 85+++ mph range to help relieve pump pressure and it actually gives us about 100 more RPM's and a speed gain of 1 mph.

For you guys thinking you will do this mod to your less than 85 MPH RXP don't even bother trying it. It will not work and you will possibly lose speed.

I'm posting this info in hopes that someone with a RXP-X with a bucking/overstuff issue might try this and hopefully it works and will prevent someone from getting hurt in the future.

This mod is nothing new. The old Kawi ZXI's came with these holes drilled from the factory to prevent the same exact overstuff issue our guys with the fast RXP-X skis are seeing. Some of the Yamaha guys, including myself have been drilling holes in their pump shoes to prevent the overstuff issue. It works!!!

On the 85+ mph RXP's we are drilling 3/8" holes. Feel free to drill whatever size you want but i can tell you this size works great on our skis.

The pictures explain everyhing but basically what you want to do is drill two 3/8" holes thru the grate and then up thru the plastic pump shoe.

If anyone tries this on a RXP-X please be sure to share your findings on this thread.

Thank you!
    If you drill the RXP-X and the RXT-X in the same location as the above pic the bit will go through the ride plate tab.

The X's plates are longer and does not have that tap in the middle like the 215's.

+1
    Could someone post a pic of the rideplate tab on a X ?

Where do I sign up for this test?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP6 View Post
    If you drill the RXP-X and the RXT-X in the same location as the above pic the bit will go through the ride plate tab.
    no big deal. Drill thru the tab!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
    Where do I sign up for this test?
    I can tell that u have never come off above 70mph It ain't all its cracked up to be

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information