Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

why is tv going digital

okay i get that digital is better but why is the government is making every one go digital by a certain date? is there something seriously wrong with analog or they keeping the signal free for military use or something?

Married the love of my Life Mayday 2008 SuperCharged03's Avatar
    I really think it is to avoid a situation like on the Terminator movie when they can take over and do "unauthorized" broadcasts of things the government don't want you to see. But that is just my opinion on this. My wife thinks I am crazy. BUT think about it. If everyone has no antenna to pick up any signals what's to stop them. It also takes away free stuff and now you have to pay. As if we all weren't broke enough.

Widespread HDTV broadcast would be almost impossible without using a digital signal. Analog TV signals already take up a huge amount of signal bandwidth and HDTV would take more than double what's currently used. By going digital, the stations can transmit an HDTV channel as well as several other digital channels in the same bandwidth as one current analog station.

The FCC auctioned off the frequency spectrum that VHF TV stations are currently using and bumping all of those TV stations up to UHF Digital. Various communications companies will be using this VHF bandwidth for two-way communications (WiFi, cellular, etc).

Huge money exchanged hands between the telecoms and the FCC, but the TV stations had to pay for the new transmitters and antennae equipment. Sprint/ Nextel is paying for the changeover to digital for the live trucks and other microwave transmission equipment.

The bad part about DTV is you either have it or you don't. An analog signal can be marginal but viewable, it's just snowy. If the digital signal is bad, you're SOL.

Enjoy buying a new TV or converter box.

Banned User
    +1
    I remember back in 98-99 when I was working at Best Buy, the FCC opened up the bandwidth for broadcasters. They wanted to have everyone over to new technology like High Def, cable internet, etc...

Broadcast companies would have to spend the money to upgrade their broadcast equipment, they simply got greedy with their extra bandwidth...So instead of having 100 channels and 40-50 HD channels with internet, they went crazy with 500+ channels...

After awhile the FCC got on them and set a switch over date, which was actually set like 5 years ago. And if they are not compliant, they get fined.

The broadcasters are switched over, their equipment is all upgraded...its the REMOTE locations, like back woods area people that don't have cable and run off a pair of rabbit ears with a TV that is 20+ years old...they will no longer get an analog signal....IF you have a newer TV, that is 10 years or less, then you actually will have no problem picking up the now FREE digital broadcoast, which they are mandated to do...

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCharged03 View Post
    I really think it is to avoid a situation like on the Terminator movie when they can take over and do "unauthorized" broadcasts of things the government don't want you to see. But that is just my opinion on this. My wife thinks I am crazy. BUT think about it. If everyone has no antenna to pick up any signals what's to stop them. It also takes away free stuff and now you have to pay. As if we all weren't broke enough.

The government already transmits info that you can't receive. They have their own frequencies, encoders and transmission equipment. You couldn't have watched it anyway.

There'll still be "free" TV. You'll need to buy a digital-ready TV or a converter box. Info available here www.dtvanswers.com
    Last edited by gtxsc03; 05-12-2008 at 01:36 PM.

Married the love of my Life Mayday 2008 SuperCharged03's Avatar
    I really just like to get a rise out of people so I post stuff like that. My wife falls for it all the time. I have been using ham radio since I was a kid and my neighbor worked for At&T. He showed me how to make my own radio and use the chain link fence for an antenna. We talked to people all over the world. The day of fuse radios is fading, but there is still some die hard fans out there...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gtxsc03 View Post
    The bad part about DTV is you either have it or you don't. An analog signal can be marginal but viewable, it's just snowy. If the digital signal is bad, you're SOL.
    yah i have philips and it had this pretty good set up so i push a button on the remote and i can switch back and forth between digital and analog. but your right there is no middle ground with digital and it breaks up often during heavy viewing hours it seems maybe just a coincidence.

The amount of people viewing doesn't affect the signal strength. It's being blasted out at the same level all the time. We keep having transmitter trouble at our station and are operating at less than 30 percent power which occasionally affects my receiver at home. Get a good-quality UHF antenna and give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCharged03 View Post
    I really just like to get a rise out of people so I post stuff like that. My wife falls for it all the time. I have been using ham radio since I was a kid and my neighbor worked for At&T. He showed me how to make my own radio and use the chain link fence for an antenna. We talked to people all over the world. The day of fuse radios is fading, but there is still some die hard fans out there...

It's funny that you mentioned that because I used to be part of a team that operated in an undisclosed building doing top-secret work with certain black helicopters that may or may not have been monitoring people's TV, Radio and Internet usage. We never could figure out why anyone had all these wires attached to their fences. It was determined later that these wires were connected to a self-service sexual gratification device.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gtxsc03 View Post
    The amount of people viewing doesn't affect the signal strength. It's being blasted out at the same level all the time. We keep having transmitter trouble at our station and are operating at less than 30 percent power which occasionally affects my receiver at home. Get a good-quality UHF antenna and give that a try.
    what would cuase it to lose signal if i watch in the middle of the day im fine if i watch it at prime time i cuts in and out all night drive me crazy.

im geting to the point where i just down load tv shows on the xbox and watch them when i want.

would an digital antenna help or are they junk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information