Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

A Mockery of Safety ?

I believe this thread should be a part of the Watercraft Safety section. I want to bring to the attention of forum members the "doings" of Beerdart, a moderator on this board. He has been deleting my posts randomly because they have to do with safe riding on the rivers in my home state of Florida. There are a group of local riders who ride without regard to anyone else on the waterway. By their own admission, they speed and operate their PWC wrecklessly. They post about running over gators where the water was too shallow for the gator to submerge. They post about having near misses with airboats and measuring distance by the number of beer stops made. They post pics and videos showing the results after loosing control when taking a corner too fast. Do they give trophies to the idiot who winds up on shore the farthest distance from the water? They post about the injuries received after being catapulted over the handlebars. Beerdart seems to welcome these posts and encourage these actions. They justify it all by saying that this is a "performance" forum and this is what is expected. Expected by whom ?? Am I the only one who objects? I have always believed that there is a place and a time for speed and letting it all hang out but not where it endangers others using the waterway. Doing so in narrow winding creeks and around blind corners is an invitation to disaster. Just this past weekend there were two boating accidents here in FL . In one, a person was killed and others injured in a collision between PWC. The other involved two powerboats. Both were contributed to excessive speed around blind curves in a narrow waterway.

Maybe the avitar used by Beerdart best demonstrates his lack of respect for safe riding. It shows a young female riding a PWC who is more concerned about posing for the camera than in looking where she is headed....right toward a group of boats !!!

Ride safe, ride smart,

Richard

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    WOW

for some reason a song by a group called NWA comes to mind. . .

Anyone remember the words????

+1
    The members Way2fast is referring to is me and all my freinds.

He has never rode with us and has absolutely no clue what he is talking about. Everytime we post anything or show a picture or video you attack us and Beerdart has just been taking your off topic BS off the thread.

The pictures of the guys from Texas being stuck in the mud was actually pretty funny and no one was even close to being hurt. Roger took them down a stip that had water in it the week before. No one hits gators on purpose either, we sometimes have to go around them if the water is to shallow. Anytime there are new people going with us I have a safety meeting before we start explaining all the rules and hand signs.

Some of the guys including myself will have a beer now and then. In a 6 to 8 hour period 3 beers is hardly affecting anyones judgement but we should have never referred to the stop as beer stops. I realize that sets a bad example.

We have been riding this river since my 92XP was brand new and king of the hill! All of us get along great with the airboaters and they are the only other ones out here. Its a 70 mile trip that we love and we have to respect everyone else that uses this waterway. Way2fast is the ONLY one that has ever complained about us and called his buddy Orange County Sherrif Dept even though he has never seen us ride or probably ever been on this river.

Please ignore Richards rants because this has absolutely nothing to do with safety, just something stuck up his ass.

+1
    Sure, Duke and his aptly named group of "St Johns River Outlaws" want everyone to believe they are safety conscience upstanding individuals. Well I invite anyone a bit concerned about safety to check some of the posts made on the "Local Rides" forum section under the sub heading "SE Rides" Look under the topics "St Johns Today" and "Low Water Protocol". Most of my posts have been deleted on the "St Johns Today" thread because the had to do with my defending myself for mentioning a fatal boating accident ...which is apparently a fun spoiler for the outlaws. But when I last checked, the posts describing wreckless operation were still there. (I printed copies, so if they misteriously disappear, I'll still have the evidence)

Duke seems to think that he and his group are the only ones who ride the river. I have been riding that river for 15 years and only recently noticed the increase in wreckless boaters. (I started on an '86 Kawi X-2) In some of his recent posts he appears to be trying to save face by pretending to be safety conscious. Maybe the recent accident that he had when he lost control of his PWC while trying to get around another boat, gave him second thoughts. He was going too fast for the conditions, hit a boat wake which caused him to run into the river bank, fly over the handlebars, get knocked unconscious...well read the post made in his own words...if it wasn't already deleted or edited !

As far as his accusation that I reported him and his buddies to the Orange County Sheriff that is shear BS. I'm getting tired of repeatedly being accused of something that I did not do. If I were to report them it would be to Fish & Game who have jurisdiction over the entire river, not one of the many local sheriffs who only cover bits and pieces of the St Johns. I have over 25 years with the Marine Patrol and will not rat on fellow PWC enthusiasts unless there is no other choice. I don't doubt that the authorities have received complaints about this gang....I'm far from the only one who has had close calls due to their antics. My friends and family frequently ride the river and their safety is my top priority. As of now I'm leaving all my cards on the table !!!

Richard

+1
    I guess a good example of "Mockery of Safety" would be your own club. The video showing your club stopping multiple times for beer and the camera guy loosing control and running into the woods is always good for a laugh.

Does the word hypocrite come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    WOW

for some reason a song by a group called NWA comes to mind. . .

Anyone remember the words????
    Go Compton?

12 sticks are easily broken piece by piece but not so as a bundle. One of you may need the other one day esp if you ride same waters. Its not just for a possible emergency on water, it could be to preserve favorite place to ride.

I have not met either of you guys but I have enjoyed reading your posts and photos and I wish you both safe fun riding.

+1

way2fast and speeding

Richard's take on a speeding ticket..

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...1316#post61316

Quote Originally Posted by Way2Fast View Post
    You have a very good chance to beat that ticket. Too fast for conditions??? A VERY objective opinion. Did he radar you? Were you speeding through a conjested area? Are there posted speed limits? Was the water very rough? Was the weather foggy with poor visability? Probably NO to all of the above !! If so, plead not guilty and bring a pic of your boat to court. Let the judge see that your hull design makes the boat appear to be going a lot faster than it actually is. Tell him that your engine is mounted high on the transom for "fuel economy" and the boat throws a rooster tail while only going 25 -30 mph. Get a few witnesses to back your story. Also cut out the weather report for today from your local newspaper to show that it was a clear, sunny day and no small craft warnings were in effect. Unless the officier lies through his teeth (not unheard of!!) you will get it dismissed. Richard

PS: Richard get your facts straight before you post BS about me..
    Last edited by beerdart; 05-13-2008 at 05:24 AM.

+1

Squirrel Hunting

Squirrel Hunting
    By Peter Came/Richard
    These two pictures give a nice example of Squirrel
    Hunting. The embarrassing details (i.e. real names)
    have been omitted. Wild Bill, on the Ultra, was
    following his two friends, who were both riding
    standups. They were zigzagging through some narrow
    channels when he zagged instead of zigged and
    wound up in the brush. He said it all happened so fast
    that he only remembers being “high and dry” deep in
    the woods. Luckily he wasn't hurt. The ski suffered
    damage to the nose bumper and some scratches but
    ran fine after the incident. It took the 3 guys to get it
    back into the water.
    A friend of Richard and 4 friends came down
    to Florida with their 5 skis a few of weeks ago. On
    their first day here one of the young ladies had to be
    rescued by the USCG out at Monster Hole in the
    Sebastian Inlet. It was an extremely windy and rough
    day and she fell off and was unable to get back to the
    ski. The CG just happened to be in the area. She is a
    very attractive lady and the CG crewmen were
    probably fighting over who got to pull her on board!
    After getting banged up and scared, she is OK and
    now hopefully has more respect for the ocean. These
    pictures (provided by Richard) show what happens
    when you miss a turn and go "squirrel hunting" to the
    extreme. The incident happened in the Key Largo
    area. No one was hurt, but the ski was slightly
    damaged. I'm sure this gang from the Midwest
    returned home with some first-hand knowledge of what
    Florida riding can be like. Next year maybe we can
    take them gator hunting!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ders.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	72655   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	riders1.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	72656  

+1
    You guy's need to go have a beer and chill out

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by txgp1300r View Post
    You guy's need to go have a beer and chill out
    +1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information