Trim operation question....

For the record, I did search for the answer on here, but couldnt find what i was looking for, ha....

Anywho... I know my trim works fine, but honestly was never told, or really never learned the best positions to set the trim on for average riding and speed. I always assumed keeping it down, meant, less hull out of water, which means more speed, but less control, and vice versa the other way. Is there a typical setting most people use for maximum speed and control, or does it basically just depend on water conditions? Thanks!

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabu1984 View Post
    For the record, I did search for the answer on here, but couldnt find what i was looking for, ha....

Anywho... I know my trim works fine, but honestly was never told, or really never learned the best positions to set the trim on for average riding and speed. I always assumed keeping it down, meant, less hull out of water, which means more speed, but less control, and vice versa the other way. Is there a typical setting most people use for maximum speed and control, or does it basically just depend on water conditions? Thanks!
    i never take my thumb off the trim
    i am always adjusting to water condtions,my icthy throttle finger,bikinis make it jump
    i intalled 1 on the gp and i loved it so much more than their twist grip trim i am moving it into the gpr
    mattman

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabu1984 View Post
    ...keeping it down meant, less hull out of water, which means more speed, but less control, and vice versa the other way. Is there a typical setting most people use for maximum speed and control, or does it basically just depend on water conditions
    It really depends on water conditions, and how you like to ride.

On my friend's '97 SL900, it often wants to porpoise (nose keeps bouncing up and down), unless I adjust the trim to push the nose down (nozzle pointing downwards at the rear, lifts the back, lets the nose come down).

For max speed, less nose down trim lifts more of the hull front out of the water. Where you sit on the seat, how much fuel you are carrying, and how heavy you are, all affect how much trim you need, or don't need.

I also find the ride is smoother on choppy water with the nose trimmed down a little.

With two people on the SL900, I keep the nose trimmed all the way down, to keep the rear of the ski up with the extra weight back there, especially at part throttle.
    Last edited by K447; 05-12-2008 at 08:51 PM.

Yeah, thats what I thought, last year, other than one insanely windy day on the lake, i tried different postions with my trim, and really never noticed a massive difference with any of it, that why I thought id get a little more insight on it this year... thanks for the info!

Thread Information