Water in Engine?

Hello Guys,

I am new to the forums but hope you can help me out here. I have a '04 RXP and went out to the lake Sunday with a friend and when we came home we were cleaning it up and I was about to flush it when I got a call and had to go into the house. My friend (not knowing any better) took it upon himself to hook up the water and turn it on (without the engine started). He had seen me flush it once before and thought the water was supposed to be going before the engine!

Anyway, I was on the phone for 10 minutes or so, so who knows how much water ran into it. I checked the oil (looks fine) and it started fine also.

Started fine this afternoon also but I have been worried ever since. Do you think I lucked up or should it do something else to check it (pull the plugs?). Should I kill my friend?

Thanks,

Midnight

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight13 View Post
    Hello Guys,

I am new to the forums but hope you can help me out here. I have a '04 RXP and went out to the lake Sunday with a friend and when we came home we were cleaning it up and I was about to flush it when I got a call and had to go into the house. My friend (not knowing any better) took it upon himself to hook up the water and turn it on (without the engine started). He had seen me flush it once before and thought the water was supposed to be going before the engine!

Anyway, I was on the phone for 10 minutes or so, so who knows how much water ran into it. I checked the oil (looks fine) and it started fine also.

Started fine this afternoon also but I have been worried ever since. Do you think I lucked up or should it do something else to check it (pull the plugs?). Should I kill my friend?

Thanks,

Midnight
    I would pull the plugs all of them crank the motor with plugs out if no water comes out you got lucky.

I've seen this before, maybe not for 10 minutes but you prob got lucky...

pull the dipstick and look if the oil is foamy and or gray. If it is, then I would change the oil and run it hard on the lake for an hour and then change it again......

+1
    The only way for water to get in the engine is for it to completely fill the waterbox and back up the j-pipe, then go to the exhaust manifold. At that point, it will enter the cylinder through any open exhaust valves. It's possible that none of the exhaust valves were open. If you got a significant amount of water in the cylinder, then the engine probably would have hydraulic-locked when you attempted to start it. Since it didn't, you probably didn't get any water in the cylinder. If it didn't get in the cylinder, then it couldn't have gotten in the oil.

Either way, I would check the oil. If it looks clean, then run it a few times for 10-20 seconds with no water hose on it at all. That should dry out the exhaust and cylinders if any water at all made it that far.

Mike

Thread Information