Thread: Hard starting.

Hard starting.

Basically i don't know much about seadoo's. I just brought a 96 gsx 787 motor. Anyways. It does run good before i brought it. The battery is new, but it is low on charge so i need to charge it some more. The minor problem that i have is. I try to crank it at home, it just cranks. Maybe i have to crank it like 5 times before it starts sometimes. Also sometimes i need to hold the choke before i start it. Is that normal or is that not normal? I believe once i get it started, it starts all the time. Could that be due to the low voltage on the battery. It is reading 12V. It still cranks pretty strong though even though it might be a low voltage. What could be the reason to make it hard start in the beginning? Any ideas will be appreciated. Maybe clean the carb?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Any and all engines (4 stroke or 2) have to be choked (if carbed), to start. This enrichens the fuel mixture, as the carb mixture is much leaner because it doesn't need this excess fuel when warm. A weak battery produces a weak spark, and makes it harder to start.

Chokes suck on Sea-Doos...IMO, because you have to crank the engine over forever to pump the fuel into the carbs, fill the carbs, then finally there is enough to start the engine. Buy a $15 primer kit if you want to save your battery and starter. 2-3 pumps, instant start every time.

Where can u purchase a primer kit? Also the primer kit is like a hand squeeze thing or is it a switch or something else. Any help will be appreciated thanx. How do i install it? Is it easy to install?

Worx will probably sell you one. He could probably give you the best location for it, as I've never installed one on a GSX hull.

It's a bit of a job, because the carbs need removing and you have to pull the choke plates out, and install the brass plugs and barbs included in the kit.

It's well worth it though.

+1
    throw some new plugs in there, NGK BR8ES. that might help a bit. but 5 sec of choke to start is normal on a cold start for a seadoo.

As for the choke, do i pull it and hold it for 5 sec or do i just pull it once and let go? I believe u have to hold it rite? Also how can i check how many hours are on this machine. I read the manual and it says it should tell u on the gauge, but i dunno how to read it. U have to press mode button or something.

to check the hours you have to keep clicking your mode button and the hours will show up on your guage. with a primer you dont hold it and then let go you have to pump it two or three times to let the fuel get to the carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by rxpx2008 View Post
    As for the choke, do i pull it and hold it for 5 sec or do i just pull it once and let go? I believe u have to hold it rite? Also how can i check how many hours are on this machine. I read the manual and it says it should tell u on the gauge, but i dunno how to read it. U have to press mode button or something.
    You keep the choke pulled out until way after it starts, and then keep it pulled until the engine starts loading up/bogging on fuel. Many make the mistake of releasing it right after the engine fires, and the carbs are still not full of fuel. Then the engine lean revs, glo-plugs, and runs away at 8+k rpms. Not good on bearings or engine life.

After the engine starts bogging, snap the gas. When you let off, if it doesn't slow down, snatch the choke back out quickly to settle it down to normal rpms.

Thanx for the reply. I took the plugs out and it is a little bit wet. Not too much though, but i smell a lot of fuel in those plugs? Shall i change them? Why do i smell oil in those spark plugs? Is that not normal?

Everything you see and smell is normal. They will always be a little wet, and since oil is mixed with the gas, they will always smell of oil.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

RQ

Thread Information