Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Irridium Plug Question

Well a lot of guys including me are running the IUX27 plug.
    As may of you know that plug is "Very" hard to get.
    I mean you can not just run to the Auto Zone and get them.
    Or can You

If you search the Denso site the say to use the IUX24 which is the same heat range as the stock plug and is a common BMW plug as well.

My local store has them in stock for $12.99.

I know with more compression a cooler plug is better, but is the 27 thing not something PPG came up with?

Lots of people are not running the Irridiums as they stuck with thier stock plugs and have had no issues.

I think since I wanted new plugs I am going to try out the 24's.

IXU27 is the plug you want. It's not a PPG made up thing, this time. The stock number is 5337. It IS a Denso Iridium Power plug.

I can get them, but you can get them cheaper on the web than I can sell them through my work (ABC Auto Parts), but you can get them cheaper on the web I think.

+1
    Any reasson not to run the 24 since they are one range up?

Seems it would be like running a better version of a stock plug?

I run them on my ski. It's pretty much stock. I have a thru hull exhaust and a hogged out stock intake box. If these motors idled down to abotu 800-1000 rpm, you might notice some misfiring, but idling at 1800, I didn't notice anything at all.

+1
    pretty much the only thing that you will notice is MAYBE a smoother idle and a little more throttle response. If you index the stock plugs you will have the same benefits. The irideum plugs are meant to be longer lasting plugs!

Quote Originally Posted by suckmywake
    The irideum plugs are meant to be longer lasting plugs!
    Yup, a must in all this spark plug "eaters" SC engines, the last time that i put new oem NGK spark plugs in my ski they only lasted about 15 hours

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GPR/STX-15F/RXT
    Yup, a must in all this spark plug "eaters" SC engines, the last time that i put new oem NGK spark plugs in my ski they only lasted about 15 hours
    then something is wrong... these 4-tecs do not normally foul up spark plugs regardless of what type. never heard someone refer to a seadoo SC engine as a spark plug eater. i just serviced an 03 4-tec SC with 143 hours yesterday at work. was on original plugs and running fine.

personally... i switched from stock plugs to IXU27s.... didn't notice a damn difference. it's a spark plug. you read ANY FAQ page about spark plugs on a engine tuner website, they laugh at the concept of gaining power or acceleration or anything from a spark plug. but there is some kind of systematic method to use so u know how many heat indexes cooler you should be using for each increase in modifications.

search the net and read some educational articles on spark plugs

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485
    Quote Originally Posted by GPR/STX-15F/RXT
    then something is wrong... these 4-tecs do not normally foul up spark plugs regardless of what type. never heard someone refer to a seadoo SC engine as a spark plug eater. i just serviced an 03 4-tec SC with 143 hours yesterday at work. was on original plugs and running fine.

personally... i switched from stock plugs to IXU27s.... didn't notice a damn difference. it's a spark plug. you read ANY FAQ page about spark plugs on a engine tuner website, they laugh at the concept of gaining power or acceleration or anything from a spark plug. but there is some kind of systematic method to use so u know how many heat indexes cooler you should be using for each increase in modifications.

search the net and read some educational articles on spark plugs

There is NOTHING wrong with my ski (KID) and i never said that i was expecting ANY increase in performance with the denso irridiums over the standard oem NGK'S plugs, i just bought them cause my local tech that is a authority in 4-TEC engines told me that they last much longer since my ski have been fouling spark plugs very often AFTER the RR ECU mod.

(mt: edited - not called for!)

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...000&country=US

Good a place to start as any...

As you begin to modify the engine the need for a colder plug is very real and it's nothing specific to 4-Tec motors...Every motor is subject to this...However on a forced induction motor spinning 8k+ it's very applicable...

I think with the most minor of mods you would be safe but once you start affecting the density of the intake charge and engine operating load / temps (be it through cooler temps, increased "boost", added rpms, etc...) you better take the safety precaution of cooling your plugs a range...There's really very little downside and a whole lot of precautionary upside...IMO

Additionally there is no "set" interval of hp or rpms or anything to dictate when to change...Every motor is different...

But bear in mind the key things that affect this need for cooler plugs are the very same things we are increasing through our modifications...

ouch man where did that come from ??

GPR/STX-15F/RXT whats the deal, know need to talk to the shibbster like that.

take a chill pill its only a spark plug.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information