Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Uh-Oh!

can't leave nothin' alone! scrappy's Avatar

Uh-Oh!

I was running my ski yesterday and I have problems!
    I was running WOT and the Ski dies(everything completely shut down) I hit the starter button and it fired right up(w/o resetting the D.E.S.S.)
    This happened a couple of times and the final time everything is dead.
    start button does nothing, Dess does nothing, and am blowing fuses.
    it has blown the 5A in the MCEM, the 15A in the ignition box and the 5A and 7.5A in the MCEM as soon as I replaced the 15A.
    Where do I start?
    I did find the positive cable on the battery loose and tightened that up.
    did the loose cable damage something?

also the final time it died it was 150 yds from the dock and had to be towed back, I have no SOV in the water line. if water did get in the engine and flood it, how do I get it out so the thing doesn't get completely destroyed?
    Last edited by scrappy; 05-14-2008 at 11:01 AM.

+1
    Remove spark plugs and rotate motor over by hand. If water comes out, ground plug wires and jump starter remotely by bypassing the electronics if nothing is working. You wont need much power to turn over motor without plugs. But do need to oil up the motor adequately somehow.

mine did something similar and it was a short in the stator. The shop manual has a test procedure to check the ohm readings for each of the mag cover pins. If the test fails, you may need to pull mag cover and check stator for replacement. On my ski, all that was needed was a good vacuum of the metal shavings that collect in there.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by seadoodude View Post
    mine did something similar and it was a short in the stator. The shop manual has a test procedure to check the ohm readings for each of the mag cover pins. If the test fails, you may need to pull mag cover and check stator for replacement. On my ski, all that was needed was a good vacuum of the metal shavings that collect in there.
    Ditto...

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Ditto...

THanks, I know it is either the stator of the MPEM, with the plug to the mag cover disco'ed it doesn't blow fuses.
    I have Ohm'ed the mag plug (on the engine) and only the solid black wire is grounded to the engine case. the others are all open. do I need to Ohm them to each other? and which color to which?
    THanks

I hope the stator is good, I found the MPEM plug is corroded and one of the pins(in the MPEM) broke off with the slightest contact So at least MPEM time!

Any one have a used PN 278-001-078 MPEM laying around on the cheap?

update!

It is the MPEM(so far!), I got bored of looking at my $500 dollar paperweight computer so I opened it up.
    I peeled all the potting material away from the backside and found a spot on the board that got warm. so then I dug out the potting material that was on the other side of the board and found the infamous diode!
    it was barrel shaped, cracked and had continuity both ways.
    I ordered 3(spares) diodes for $4.90/ea plus shipping.
    one of my co-workers deals with circuit card repair so I had nim replace the diode and the broken pin(s)
    I just got it back from him tonight and will put my battery back in and try it tomorrow!
    Wish me luck!
    and I did not get water in the cylinders like I was afraid of, none came out of the cylinders when I shorted across the solenoid, just plenty out the exhaust after I put the plugs back in.

Fingers crossed...

the saga contiues

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Fingers crossed...
    well, it turns out the mag was bad too! a wire was broken from the pin in the plug and it looks like it was what killed the diode by shorting one of the phases to ground.
    I got a replacement and installed it.
    It doesn't blow fuses anymore but all I get is the gauges zeroing out when I push the start button
    it won't crank and it does not beep when I install the DESS
    I wonder if I am missing a connection but it all seems to be hooked up right. What am I missing?
    rectifier?
    can it be tested?
    when I put my ohmmeter on the red wire of the rectifier and to the yellow wires, only one shows some continuity. are they all supposed to show continuity or none of them?
    Last edited by scrappy; 09-14-2008 at 01:10 PM.

latest

it cranks now.
    the DESS key was dirty/flaky and wasn't letting the computer do anything (K.I.S.S.).
    Bad battery cables are what I have now, the ground wire gets hot. I have disconnected and cleaned them but it didn't really help.
    The stator was good except for 2 broken pins that I will replace and I will have a spare
    a new cable(s) and maybe a new key and I'll be good to go?

The Mag is the magneto, the "cup" looking thing that bolts to the flywheel. The stator is what is wound and fails, as does the rectifier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information