Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What to look for when buying a RXP

I'm new to the forums and I'm looking to purchase an RXP.

I want to know what to look for when purchasing one. Are there certain wear spots that I should look out for?

I've heard about the Delamination of the Gelcoat on the front and I do not want to go through that issue.

I've also heard about spider cracking of the gelcoat which is also bad.

The only problem is I am not sure what to look for on the outside of the ski and mechanically on the engine.

I'm mechanically inclined so I should be able to test what you ask.
    I'm looking for any year rxp really for around 7500 or less.

I hate things that don't work! SearayEX12's Avatar
    You will definately be able to find one for that price. A couple things to look for and ask. Like you said check for spider cracking on the bottom of the hull. Find out if the washers had been replaced for metal ones yet. Check if the washers are blown if they are either still ceramic or the seller doesn't know. To check you can pull the intake hose off the supercharger and see if shaft of the charger spins freely. All you need is a flathead to take off the hose clamp. Also check condition of the grate and rideplate to see it the bolts are starting to pull out on the grate. This would indicate the inserts in the pump shoe starting to pull out. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mackey View Post
    I'm new to the forums and I'm looking to purchase an RXP.

I want to know what to look for when purchasing one. Are there certain wear spots that I should look out for?

I've heard about the Delamination of the Gelcoat on the front and I do not want to go through that issue.

I've also heard about spider cracking of the gelcoat which is also bad.

The only problem is I am not sure what to look for on the outside of the ski and mechanically on the engine.

I'm mechanically inclined so I should be able to test what you ask.
    I'm looking for any year rxp really for around 7500 or less.
    Try to find one that still has some Extended warranty left. That way you be protected for a while. But BRP extended warranty does not cover delamination or spider cracks... Ron

+1
    Look at the engine hoist brackets. If they are marred, the engine has been pulled, and you don't want that ski (this usually means it had a prior washer failure).

Quote Originally Posted by SearayEX12 View Post
    You will definately be able to find one for that price. A couple things to look for and ask. Like you said check for spider cracking on the bottom of the hull. Find out if the washers had been replaced for metal ones yet. Check if the washers are blown if they are either still ceramic or the seller doesn't know. To check you can pull the intake hose off the supercharger and see if shaft of the charger spins freely. All you need is a flathead to take off the hose clamp. Also check condition of the grate and rideplate to see it the bolts are starting to pull out on the grate. This would indicate the inserts in the pump shoe starting to pull out. Good luck!
    First, is there anyway I can check if the washers were changed easily if the seller doesn't know?

Does anyone have a picture of what the shaft would look like or a picture of an engine bay with the supercharger intake? Basically I want to see what hose clamp and what do I try to spin with my hand.

Where is the ride plate? If it is starting to pull out is that a big deal?

Do you recommend changing the washers from ceramic to another material after I ride it once or twice?

I have

+1
    welcome to the forum

I hate things that don't work! SearayEX12's Avatar
    First, is there anyway I can check if the washers were changed easily if the seller doesn't know?

Does anyone have a picture of what the shaft would look like or a picture of an engine bay with the supercharger intake? Basically I want to see what hose clamp and what do I try to spin with my hand.

Do you recommend changing the washers from ceramic to another material after I ride it once or twice?

I have
    There is no way to tell if they have been changed without pulling the supercharger. As to the hose clamp and intake, I don't have any pictures but it is easy enough to find. If you take of the seat, there will be a round black housing attached to the left rear of the engine. There will be a single 3 inch hose coming off of this with a clamp. Once the hose is removed, you will see the end of a shaft with a bolt on it. This is what you want to try and spin. If you it doesn't move then they are not blown at least at that moment. If they are not upgraded send them to Jerry ASAP. There is a supercharger service on the left hand side of the page on this forum. The rideplate is the flat piece of metal below the nozzle on the bottom of the hull. This is where heat exchange and most of the hull rides on when running fast. Just get under the ski, pull on the grate and see what the plate looks like. It is real easy to find.

I have
    I just purchased a 2006 RXP a couple of weeks ago and I had the exact same questions.

My first suggestion would be that you download the MS Word Document in this thread - http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13403

The document has pictures that will answer your question about the location of the supercharger inlet hose.

The document also has a great picture of a non-serviceable clamp that is destroyed when you remove the supercharger. This will be your clue as to whether the supercharger has ever been removed for servicing.

On my ski the original clamp was still in place and the impeller didn't move. The verdict - the washers had never been replaced but they were still intact.

Good luck with your shopping and I hope you find the ski you're looking for.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mason Lake View Post
    The document also has a great picture of a non-serviceable clamp that is destroyed when you remove the supercharger. This will be your clue as to whether the supercharger has ever been removed for servicing.

On my ski the original clamp was still in place and the impeller didn't move. The verdict - the washers had never been replaced but they were still intact.
    Not necessarily true. If it had a washer failure repaired by a dealer, they would put an Oetiker clamp back on it. There is no absolute way to determine if the washers had failed before. The best you can do is ask questions, look at the SC, look at the engine hoist brackets and REPLACE THE CERAMIC WASHERS BEFORE YOU PUT IT IN THE WATER.

You might also ask a dealer to run the VIN to see what work has been done under warranty. PPG does this all the time... Ron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information