Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

NoOoOo! Steering Noozle/Pump Help!

So I got my alignment tool today from Beerdart (thanks by the way!!).... everything was going great, starting putting my impellar, and steering nozzle back on and what do I do....

..... I put the friggin wedge on upside down (where the pump is pointing DOWN instead of up), not paying attention, I tightened it all down and what do hear, CRACKKKKKKKK. The damn connector on the steering nozzle for the through hull water pipe cracked and broke. (not sure of the proper name). Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez. I was planning on takin the ski out for the first ride Friday, but not now! Anybody got a friggin steering nozzle with trim for sale?!?!! Ill post in the classified section too.... Also, after the fact, I notice the the water pipe that the nozzle hooked too seemed loose... is that normal to have some play, or should it be pretty solid? I took the hose loose from inside the hull, and I can wiggle the fitting through the hull a tiny bit? Future issue? How does that fitting go through the hole? Just epoxy, or did I friggin break that too..... HELP! Oh yeah, if Im confusing anyone, ill take pics if need be...
    Last edited by Sabu1984; 05-14-2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added info...

Hell I run the wedge upside down on purpose! lol I'm sure the parts u need will be available! Z

+1
    I have broken one myself.. I was able to epoxy it up and it's good to go. The water tube can be loose it has a o-ring on both ends the one on the nozzle side will allow for some movement the one on the hull side is sandwiched between the wear ring and the hull. I like to put some RTV on the hull side just to be safe. How was the alignment?

alignment was good! Im gonna be shipping it back to you sometime in the next few days..... are you talking about putting epoxy on the crack on the nozzle? or one hull side of the water tube fitting, or both? Definatly need to put some on the hull side of the tube, seemed a lil too loose. Whats recommened for that?! Would it hurt to try and repair the crack on the nozzle or just call that one a loss i assume? Ill take a pic so you guys can see what I did.... as for the wedge, SHOULD it point the nozzle up or down? I thought it was supposed point up, to push the nose up a bit more?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabu1984 View Post
    alignment was good! Im gonna be shipping it back to you sometime in the next few days..... are you talking about putting epoxy on the crack on the nozzle? Yes or one hull side of the water tube fitting, or both? Definatly need to put some on the hull side of the tube,No epoxy just some RTV on the hull side. seemed a lil too loose. Whats recommened for that?! Would it hurt to try and repair the crack on the nozzle or just call that one a loss i assume? Ill take a pic so you guys can see what I did.... as for the wedge, SHOULD it point the nozzle up or down? Up I thought it was supposed point up, to push the nose up a bit more?

RTV, what is it, and where do I get it?! Talking about like gasket silicone? Heres two pics of my work today!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crack1.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	72959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crack2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	72960  
    Last edited by Sabu1984; 05-14-2008 at 08:05 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    RTV, what is it, and where do I get it?! Talking about like gasket silicone?
    Heres two pics of my work today!
    RTV = Silicone sealant

Not the gasket stuff, per se. Just Marine grade silicone

You need to be sure your epoxy repair (if you go that route) of the water tube fitting at the nozzle is reliable.

If it breaks off while you are riding, you will loose all water cooling flow, and the engine will heat up rapidly. The over-temp sensor may or may not warn you fast enough to avoid engine damage, especially if you are really flying when it fails.

ah Yes, but what does RTV exactly mean???

Room Temperature Vulcanizing

Ill pick some up tomorrow, and try a temp fix... guess ill just hunt for another one in the mean time........I dont THINK it would crack all the way through and break off, while out riding, but then again.... can the RTV silicone be picked up at Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, etc etc?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Ill pick some up tomorrow, and try a temp fix... guess I'll just hunt for another one in the mean time...
    ...I don't THINK it would crack all the way through and break off, while out riding, but then again....
    can the RTV silicone be picked up at Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, etc etc?
    RTV is NOT for fixing the nozzle, just for helping the O-ring seal at the hull end.

You want MARINE grade silicone sealant (RTV), available at any marine store or marina.

The nozzle repair would require a good quality 2 part epoxy adhesive, well mixed, carefully applied to the cracked area. Be sure the nozzle fitting is in correct alignment when you glue it up, so the epoxy doesn't hold it in the 'wrong' angle.

Try to get the epoxy into the cracks, and taper it around the webs and joints, so it has enough thickness to strengthen the repair.

Epoxy needs to be thoroughly mixed, equally parts resin and hardener.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information