Does Sta-Bil affect the octane?

I am running Premium (93) in my turbocharged 4 stroke MSX 150, and have been using the minimum amount of Sta-Bil year around.

I suspect that I am having an engine knock sensor issue, which triggers my check engine light, and limits my rpm's.

Can the Sta-Bil be reducing my octane below the recommended level?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have you tried running a full tank through without any Sta-Bil?

Adding stabil will not lower the octane level. It can change the burn rate of the fuel,but not enough to cause the MSX150 to go into override!
    My suggestion is to monitior where you are buying your so called "premium" fuel though. It is a common practice going on right now that Stations have been diluting premium fuel or selling 87 octane as premium grade. There has been alot on the news about people complaining and 20/20 has done some research on it and found 70 out of 100 stations in California were doing it along with several other states. Hate to say it but just because the pump says its premium does not always mean thats what your getting.
    You might also want to monitor when the light is coming on. If its at low speeds or throttle position, then you have other issues or a bad sensor as well. If you use "Polaris Digital Wrench" on it, you can find where the detonation is occuring if its actually deto from fuel!!

Quote Originally Posted by prochamp View Post
    Adding stabil will not lower the octane level. It can change the burn rate of the fuel,but not enough to cause the MSX150 to go into override!
    My suggestion is to monitior where you are buying your so called "premium" fuel though. It is a common practice going on right now that Stations have been diluting premium fuel or selling 87 octane as premium grade. There has been alot on the news about people complaining and 20/20 has done some research on it and found 70 out of 100 stations in California were doing it along with several other states. Hate to say it but just because the pump says its premium does not always mean thats what your getting.
    You might also want to monitor when the light is coming on. If its at low speeds or throttle position, then you have other issues or a bad sensor as well. If you use "Polaris Digital Wrench" on it, you can find where the detonation is occuring if its actually deto from fuel!!

I have always been fueling up at the same Shell station...but will top off at a different location this Tuesday. It occured to me that Premium is the least purchased grade, and I will use a station that would stand to sell more (upscale), so that I have the best chance of getting fresh fuel. I also am planning to add a bottle of Octane +104....

As for my issue, it occurs at 5800 rpm...and limits my top speed to that range. It doesn't matter if I 'gas' it, or get there gradually, it lights my check engine light at 5800. I can ride all day at this rpm, but can't go any faster, and if I back off, the acceleration is lagging. My next step...if the octane booster doesn't work...is to get a Digital Wrench readout....

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Have you tried running a full tank through without any Sta-Bil?
    Not yet...but I am going to keep topping it off sans Sta-Bil!

Got to figure this out...even though it is fun enough cruising at 45, it just 'kills' me when a Yama scoots by, and I know that I could normally 'smoke' him!

I put sta-bil in my 04 MSX 150 and seems that it doesn't run 7500 RPM like it should. It bounces between 7300 and 7500 consistantly with no lights on or anything. I am gonna head out on Memorial Day if it's nice and see if putting a fresh tankfull of 92 premium will fix that. Damn that thing runs good though. Can't wait to ride it all summer!

Quote Originally Posted by sbronemann View Post
    I put sta-bil in my 04 MSX 150 and seems that it doesn't run 7500 RPM like it should. It bounces between 7300 and 7500 consistantly with no lights on or anything. I am gonna head out on Memorial Day if it's nice and see if putting a fresh tankfull of 92 premium will fix that. Damn that thing runs good though. Can't wait to ride it all summer!
    I have 9 days off, starting tomorrow!

First thing in the morning...adding Octane booster to my tank, and seeing what develops. If that doesn't work, I will stop off at the Polaris dealer and see if he has time to hook up the Digital Wrench. I assume that he will know which trouble code is the latest...otherwise there isn't any purpose to doing this, before having any old codes removed! Wouldn't it be great if we were able to 'own' the software....

Thread Information