Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1995 Polaris 780SLX

Hi Everyone,

A few days ago I picked up this 95' 780SLX with 95' Bandit trailer. Apparently it had been sitting for about 2 years and when parked the MFD didn't function, but the engine was supposedly rebuilt in 05' So after draining the gas, changing the plugs, cleaning up some of the wiring and adding some new ground wires in the electrical box; she fired right up.

The bunk brackets on the trailer were pretty much non-existent (rusted away) - so I replaced those, put some new lights on the trailer and cleaned it up a bit. The ski also must have sat in the water for a while because it had a nasty rust colored waterline stain and the remains of barnicles on the bottom of the hull. Some compounding and waxing later and it looks pretty good - will be ordering a replacement seat cover.

The only part I'm wondering about is the jetdrive. The rear nozzle part that is connected to the steering which moves left and right seems to have a good amount of vertical (up and down) play. This piece is connected via an allen bolt on the top and on the bottom. (see picture). Are their bushings that can be replaced that will tighten this up?

+1
    Hi Shane WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!
    Very nice project you have on your hands.
    Replace the fuel line before you have a lean running condition.

Last edited by ph2ocraft; 05-16-2008 at 12:07 AM.

Thanks for the welcome!
    Hmm... Thanks for the diagrams but I don't think they outline what I'm looking for - the first exploded view shows the trim/outer part of the nozzle. The second does show how the steering attaches to the inner part of the nozzle; but not the allen bolt & possible bushings that I drew an arrowed pointing to in my pic. I'm guessing this type of up/down motion is not normal and everything should be pretty tight?

I'm assuming by replace fuel line you mean just go through and replace all the hose from the tank to the pump to the carbs, just as a precaution...- I'll be sure to do this before I take the ski out into the water.
    -Shane

+1
    I tagged the wrong photo, take a look at the second photo now.

+1
    This might help if you need to order the parts but if something is missing, try checking with John Zigler and Randy at Watcon.
    7...7515366...BOLT, S.S.(10) 2
    8...5130938...COLLAR 2
    9...5431518...BRG,STRG.NOZZLE,(10)

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Shane.

There is a good amount of play at those points, so they aren't real tight.

The bushings are so thin, I doubt they will tighten up your tolerances much. But if it's super sloppy or they're missing you can replace them.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

There are bushings in there. There is always some slop, but if yours is excessive, replacing the bushings could help.

Is this a salt water boat?
    Getting those bolts out can be a challenge, especially if they haven't moved since new. You don't want to break the nozzle...

Perhaps you could give us some numbers. From max droop to max lift, how much is the steering nozzle moving up/down?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneW View Post
    ...The rear nozzle part that is connected to the steering which moves left and right seems to have a good amount of vertical (up and down) play. This piece is connected via an allen bolt on the top and on the bottom. (see picture). Are their bushings that can be replaced that will tighten this up?

I'm not going to worry to much about the slop; it seems to be maybe less than half of a centimeter from top to bottom. - I tried to remove those bolts to add some shims/extra washers, but it seems like there's a good chance the bolts will break if I try any harder. (yes its a salt water ski) I might cut a few rubber washers and slide them in there to tighten it up a little bit.

I did take the ski for a ride today and I have to say, for the $375 I paid + a few bucks into trailer parts & new plugs I think I got a great deal! Engine ran great and it drove pretty nice. The only thing that didn't work was the MFD. It did have power but most of the functions weren't working- it would flash on once in a while/or when one of the buttons were pressed with all zero's. When running it in the driveway the display was a little iffy but it would display proper RPM, Trim, and fuel level. I'm guessing the display may need to be rebuilt since I cleaned up all the connections. I do have a wiring diagram, so I'll have to check if its getting constant power and if all the sensors are inputting usable
    data/resistances.
    -Shane

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds good Shane. Now rebuild the fuel system and enjoy your ride...

Yes- thanks... definitely will buy 15 or so feet of fuel hose and replace everything before I got back out on the water & a new fuel filter of course. I've been reading up on MFD repair, resetting, etc so that shouldn't be too hard to get back up and working...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information