+1

Replacing intercooler every 1-2 years?

I was looking at buying a Riva intercooler, but a friend of mine said they need to be replaced about every 1.5 years? That can be quite costly.

Any one have coments on buying a used intercooler that looks to be in great condition? What should one look for when buying a used intercooler?

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    I was looking at buying a Riva intercooler, but a friend of mine said they need to be replaced about every 1.5 years? That can be quite costly.

Any one have coments on buying a used intercooler that looks to be in great condition? What should one look for when buying a used intercooler?
    I thought about getting one too until I saw how many people had issues with them. Save yourself some money and get an XS intercooler. Yea you gotta fab up the piping and couplers but it works well.

+1
    Yeah, when searching the threads to see if intercoolers need to be replaced periodically I did find a lot of info on the XS intercooler. Not intrestead on what intercooler to buy because a friend of mine has a nice used Riva one I was thinking about buying, but was hesitant to buy it if they need to consistantly need to be replaced due to failures.

If you ride in salt water, they need extra care and cleaning. A pre-stainer is also recommend.

+1
    Yup, I ride in salt all the time. I flush with Salt Away after every ride. With that said would the intercooler need to be replaced every year or so?

There are other things that come in to play.
    1. The amount of unfiltered salt air or mist you are sucking into your intake.
    2. is the IC anodized, if not check out some of lafjax IC thread where he has installed an anode to reduce the oxidation/corrosion process. similar to the the zinc throughout the ski.
    3. keep flushing

going the route of the XS intercooler is cost effective and less of an impact to the wallet if a replacement is necessary

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
    There are other things that come in to play.
    1. The amount of unfiltered salt air or mist you are sucking into your intake.
    2. is the IC anodized, if not check out some of lafjax IC thread where he has installed an anode to reduce the oxidation/corrosion process. similar to the the zinc throughout the ski.
    3. keep flushing

going the route of the XS intercooler is cost effective and less of an impact to the wallet if a replacement is necessary
    1. Good call about this. I never thought about that before with all the skis I have owned. Is there something to fog with when flushing the ski?
    2. I did see the bung while searching and saved it in my favorites. http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/pc/ZINE-0...+X+1-3%2C+4%22

I have looked for a parts list for the XS setup, but have not found anything yet. Anyone have it handy? If not I'll keep digging.

+1
    jfizzle on here has the setup you want. he builds these kits.

Thread Information