To HE77 with Georgia!

So, I won't mess with my ski in the dark again..

Ok, the other night, I was attempting to determine how much fuel I had in my tank (I'm waiting on a new fuel float) as my ski sat on the trailer in my yard. I had the hood up for light, and opened the fuel cap to peer in. Then my buddy showed and distracted me, I closed the hood, and forgot the gas cap. (Like I said, it was dark, but I'm still an idiot).

Fast forward to this morning. I was heading out to my car, and I looked over at the ski behind the fence and noticed the cap still off. The problem is that it rained for quite a while yesterday...

Going by the size of the opening and the amount of rain, I figure about 2 to 4 ounces of water got into the tank. I'm curios how much water the fuel can safely take on without harm, and how effective the fuel/water seperator is (It's gotta be there for a reason).

I was planning to take the tank out and clean it, but might not have time before my planned running Saturday. Is it highly advisable to address this immediately? Or should I be ok? (I might still pull the tank tonight to be sure, but I'd like your opinions.)

+1
    The water should sink. Siphon off the bottom and get the water out,

+1
    That sucks man. I would pull the gas but that's just me. Water in the tank can kill your motor faster then you think. At the very least put some stable in it that will get rid of most of the water.

+1
    I'd drain off as much fuel as I could, dump it on my old car and then fill the old cars tank. I'd fill the fuel tank in the PWC and keep a close eye on the water seperator and clean as/if needed for the next tank or two.
    We should check it every ride but I know I'm guilty of not even opening the hood.

+1
    TILT THE SKI, IE NOSE DOWN AND TILTING TO THE LEFT, SO THAT ALL OF THE WATER IS IN THE LOWEST CORNER. SIPHON OUT UNTIL YOU GET ONLY GAS.

If you live in one of the states that mandate 10% or higher Ethanol in your gas in the summer, drain the whole tank as ethanol is soluable in water and will absorb the water into the gas and your hosed.

$.02

To HE77 with Georgia!
    Thanks for the replies. I only have about 2-3 gallons in there (hence why I had to try so hard to check the level). Looks like I might have a small, bright bonfire tonight...

I've got a 2.5 gallon gas can for my mower (no pre-mix). It can be emptied, and I can siphon from the bottom of the tank into the smal can. Then there should be a piddling amount of gas left, so that if I fill it up, the ratio will be indiscernable.

Now, do I want to chance it with the lawnmower on that gas..? Besides burning gasoline, any other suggestions for disposal? (We don't really have any old cars that I'd be willing to make the guinea pig of a crossing-the-fingers experiment.)

To HE77 with Georgia!
    Ok. I found enough socket extensions to get the tank out. Poured out almost 2 gallons into 2 old, empty Auto Transmission Fluid containers. The tank is actually spotless, which surprised me, this being a 12 year old used ski. I inspected and cleaned the inside front of the hull while I was at it. No surprises. Getting the tank back in was the headache.. but it's in, it's dry, and it's ready for me to ride tomorrow, which is the important part.

Thread Information