Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Sanding ride plate

I was thinking about sanding the ride plates on all my Doo's, because they all have a rough surface. Is this a good idea or will it decrease the cooling capabilities because a rough surface has more surface area then a smooth one. I was looking at the plates on my 06 RXT, 07 RXP, and 08 RXT-X and was thinking about truing and block sanding all wetted surfaces. Is this a worthwhile thing or too labor intensive for the benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by ERICG1 View Post
    I was thinking about sanding the ride plates on all my Doo's, because they all have a rough surface. Is this a good idea or will it decrease the cooling capabilities because a rough surface has more surface area then a smooth one. I was looking at the plates on my 06 RXT, 07 RXP, and 08 RXT-X and was thinking about truing and block sanding all wetted surfaces. Is this a worthwhile thing or too labor intensive for the benefits?
    Sanding the ride plate is a good idea. It will reduce the friction in the water when riding. I don't think it's worth it to take it too far but 1 hours worth would help nicely.

I sanded my plate on my RXT and picked up speed.

+1
    Best Bet Is To Check Out 4-techperformance Store For Plate Mods By Jims Performance.

ive heard water travels better over slightly roughened up surface's than perfectly smooth ones....some hydrodynamics stuff, im not certain though....

its all about surface tension.

+1
    I dont know how to do the copy thing by orginally posted by

Sanding the bottom of ski creates little air pockets, which makes the ski run on micro bubbles and supposedly makes you go faster.

Qouted by "HOSS"

Sanding the "patch" is always good for speed. But this speed is very minimal on these hulls and best left for speed junkies trying for the GPS bragging rights. ANYONE else,,,dont do it.

Air bubbles created (airation) from a non smooth surface helps un -wetten the hull reducing drag. Drag in this case for common knowledge would be considerred as friction or in marine applications,,,,,yes even vacuum or suction in certain "hook" designs. But this all pertains to speed and where the hulls life is spent in the water. In this case the hull does not spend any life in the water. Rather just the last aft midpoint. On bass boats it was/is a delta pad. But that is a different drive system. This is a jet,,,jets love water. Not air.

Basically sand behind jet,,,NOT in front of intake. By the way front to back is bs for this operation. Circular ,like a DA, is best. Its a random pattern and go medium. 400 grit is perfect. Thats inner chine, chine to chine, and up to intake front. There you have it.

You will also lose some stability. So if`n you ain`t riding glass,,,all the time,,,it ain`t for you. Period.

So its good to sand up to the intake grate, what harm would it cause to sand further towards the front? Just curious. I have the Jim Rideplate and he sands it and "polishes" it and that helps some. I had done some wet sanding with 600 grit in the back due to some scratches from beaching so I did not do it to pick up speed. I did noticed a huge change when I got the rideplate but there are angles cut into it as well.

+1
    Did you pick up top speed or better handling with Jim's plate ? Or both ? Hoss, if you sand it smooth will the boat not "grab" the water making it skittish at high speed or when turning at high speed?

+1

Guys

Parasitic drag on a rough plate in water will actually be faster then a smooth surface. It's a proven fact. Leave the plate rough

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information