Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

H-Temp frustrations

Guys,

Currently, I'm having intermittant H-temp problems and its driving me a little crazy in testing.

I just bought a spare exhaust temp sensor today as a test and will plug it into the exhaust sensor wire tonight and just tape it up to see if maybe its a different sensor problem or if possibly its the exhaust sensor itself in the exhaust. If my problem goes away at WOT, then I'll know my sensor in the exhaust is bad. If i get an h-temp again, I'll just take it to the dealer instead of chasing this thing around.

I have 110 hours on this ski with 40+ hours of the Riva stage II kit on it. I've cleaned, ran water , blown compressed air through every hose and the intercooler..as well I have pulled the pump strainer and the pump looking for anything. If after the alarm I let it idle, the sensor stops alarming and everything returns to normal. Only WOT runs causes this. And from the threads on forums..i'm not alone.

We checked the heat of the exhaust and manifold after WOT runs ( comparing to another ski) and they all are in spec. Pressing SET 5 times comes back with nothing in error. Hard to believe the sensor is bad in the exhaust since it LOOKS good...but I dont know the specs or how hot these sensors are supposed to get before going off. I can place my hand on the j-pipe without it being very hot after the sensor goes off also.....Any suggestions ?

Possibly a Dynamite stick in the hull, taping the throttle wide open and letting it go in the bay is my next option.

I would say you have covered everything...is the High temp alarm specific to the exhaust temp sensor or are there other temp sensors, I'm to lazy to go check my rig

Yuji,

There are other sensors (such as the manifold sensor, Engine temp sensor) but for right now I at first leaning towards the exhaust sensor since it seems like that would be the first to check as hot exhaust and water would be passing across it.

Also, my coolent level is correct and its not boiling out or dropping like there is an air pocket within it. The ski also stays pretty dry since I'm not taking it off of waves or trying to spin in circles. Its mostly just a flat water runner to get from island to island down here.

Thanks for responding tho !

Will

I figured there were more sensors...anyways, whats the pic in your avatar?

+1
    Hey Full I have the same problem as you. I have flushed everything out and will be riding it this week to see if I have it FIXED. If I find something I will let you know. What pump impeller are you running and has it been repitched? Todd

+1
    Have you looked at the bottom of the water jacket in the J pipe where it dumps water into the waterbox? There are three TINY little holes ... if that is the only way that water gets into the waterbox (and there is a sensor in the exit pipe of the water box), I think it would be very easy for those to get plugged with sand. I carefully drilled mine out just a little bigger and deburred them ... they just seemed too small and too prone to potential clogging to me. I would NOT recommend 'hogging' them out at all, but opening them up A LITTLE might be smart; no bad side effects from slightly opening mine up.

You should pop off the J pipe and just look at the bottom of the water jacket where it enters the waterbox. You might see one or more of the tiny little holes are plugged ... an easy check that might be your problem.

+1
    Hey Vern I have removed my J pipe and cleaned it out so I HOPE I have fixed my problem. Thank you for your help. Full I will post back after I ride this week. Todd

Vern,

Thanks for the response and help. Yes I took the j-pipe all the way out and ran water through the j-pipe inlets and then blew compressed water through the whole thing as well as those little holes. My initial thoughts were that these were clogged. Something to take note of is that when you place the c-clamps on the pipe to NOT clamp against where these holes drop water into the Waterbox.

I'm wondering if this stage II kit is running stronger and blowing out all the water in the box and I'm just running hot air at WOT which is triggering it. Its tough figuring this out on the ski since we cant see anything. I look back and see water coming out ot the exhaust...but is it enough?...who knows !

Todd,
    I run the Solas Concord Impeller SRX-CD-15/20R prop

Yuji,
    Tha boat is just some pic I gathered off of the lake opf the ozarks run. I think it runs pretty fast, the big pic shows the exhaust heat coming off of it and its a pretty awesome.

+1
    [quote="FullThrottle"]Vern,

Something to take note of is that when you place the c-clamps on the pipe to NOT clamp against where these holes drop water into the Waterbox.

Good point ... when I took off the short rubber coupler hose that connects the J pipe to the waterbox, mine had fat rubber bulges in the inside, right about where they might squeeze out and plug those tiny little holes. I never overheated yet, but I replaced that hose because it was so misshapen inside. Another thing worth checking ...

Do you have a stock waterbox ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information