GIO and Our Oil Siphons

Ok so I have had very bad GIO since day one and until tonight when I was doing an oil change I could not figure out why I was having to buy a new oil siphon every time I go to change the oil....I have been through like 4 or 5 oil siphons in less than a year....Evey time I would go to change my oil I could never get my hand pump oil siphon to prime and suck the oil out so Id have to jump in the truck and run out to Bass Pro and buy a new siphon ...well I did some thinking today and figured it out the gas that is in my oil is destroying the seals inside the hand pump oil siphon...this is why every oil siphons owners manual and the siphons package says never to siphon gasoline ...I have an idea to solve this so I thought Id share this with you all and maybe save you guys a few bucks

My idea is get some dish soap like Dawn and a bucket of hot water and mix it up....and after you are done with you oil change run that hot water/Dawn through you oil siphon I ran about a gallon of the hot water/Dawn through the siphon....It will wash out all oil and gas that maybe hanging around inside the siphon and prolong the life of your siphon's inner seals and it also will clean the entire siphon, hoses and all that way you wont have any oil leaking out of the siphon or the siphon's hoses when you put it away on the shelf in the shop so you will have a nice clean siphon to put away... clean as the day you bought it

Some of you may have figured this out long ago but I never gave it any thought until now so I hope this helps at least one person

Good Night All
    See you on the water

You hit the nail right on the head. Gas will ruin the seals on an oil extractor. Thanx for letting the people know/

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250xryder View Post
    Ok so I have had very bad GIO since day one and until tonight when I was doing an oil change I could not figure out why I was having to buy a new oil siphon every time I go to change the oil....I have been through like 4 or 5 oil siphons in less than a year....Evey time I would go to change my oil I could never get my hand pump oil siphon to prime and suck the oil out so Id have to jump in the truck and run out to Bass Pro and buy a new siphon ...well I did some thinking today and figured it out the gas that is in my oil is destroying the seals inside the hand pump oil siphon...this is why every oil siphons owners manual and the siphons package says never to siphon gasoline ...I have an idea to solve this so I thought Id share this with you all and maybe save you guys a few bucks

My idea is get some dish soap like Dawn and a bucket of hot water and mix it up....and after you are done with you oil change run that hot water/Dawn through you oil siphon I ran about a gallon of the hot water/Dawn through the siphon....It will wash out all oil and gas that maybe hanging around inside the siphon and prolong the life of your siphon's inner seals and it also will clean the entire siphon, hoses and all that way you wont have any oil leaking out of the siphon or the siphon's hoses when you put it away on the shelf in the shop so you will have a nice clean siphon to put away... clean as the day you bought it

Some of you may have figured this out long ago but I never gave it any thought until now so I hope this helps at least one person

Good Night All
    See you on the water

Cool, great information for a newbie like me. I'll have to remember that.

+1

Tempo Oil Boy

I love using the Tempo Oil Boy. You put hose in dipstick, pump a
    few times, and suction takes over and fills canister. You can take
    it to auto/lube shop to dump. No seals or anything else to wear out
    or get screwed up with gas.

Tempo sold this division, so it's out with a different name. Many
    marine stores like West have it. About $80.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil boy.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	73904  

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tomgtv View Post
    I love using the Tempo Oil Boy. You put hose in dipstick, pump a
    few times, and suction takes over and fills canister. You can take
    it to auto/lube shop to dump. No seals or anything else to wear out
    or get screwed up with gas.

Tempo sold this division, so it's out with a different name. Many
    marine stores like West have it. About $80.
    +1

Well if the oil pump I have now ever fails me I will give that a try

That thing looks huge tho...how big is it ?

Thank you

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    @ 30 inches tall and hold 5 quarts..............

Thread Information