problem with battery in 01 and 00 1100 zxi

I just bought a set of 2000 and 2001 1100 zxis. battery was dead on one, so the guy i bought them off sent a new battery with one. when I got the new battery charged and put on i decided to try them out. the one with the old battery didn't start. finally after having to quick charge both batteries i got them both started and running. both seemed to run fine except the KATS. I'm not sure if it doesn't work but no LED or light or any sort seemed to come on on either, nor did manually trimming either. but they seemed to run fine

So i let them sit for two weeks to hopefully get warmer and try them on a good day for a long time. again, batteries are dead. both had brand new batteries that were charged so I can't see why they would be dead. I know the ignition was off, or at least the key was off i have no way of knowing if possibly there is still something on. i tried to charge the batteries but now nothing started them, when i checked the voltage they had about 3 volts.

i returned the batteries and am charing them now, but am wondering if anyone knows how to wire the batteries. I know positive to positive and negative to negative, but there is a third wire that seems to go to the ignition area. I had this small wire hooked to the positive in both. The only thing I can think is possibly that wire is the KATS (not really sure if that would be it) and needs to be hooked to the negative terminal (I haven't seen any wires hooked to a negative that I remember). But if so, possibly that would be why KATS didn't work on either ski, and somehow is draining the battery?

Or does anyone else have any ideas on what could possibly be wrong. From the picture in the manual I looked today and the smaller wire looked like it is connected to the negative terminal but I can't imagine anything being hooked to the negative besides a ground wire.

Thanks

Did you ever get the answer to your problem? I have the same question.

+1
    There should be a small black wire that goes from the negative battery terminal to the trim control box. I'd bet that's your problem.

The KATS system is the Kawasaki Automatic Trim System, when activated, puts the trim all the way down when the engine is idling. When you accelerate, it goes back to neutral after the engine hits 4000 RPM. It helps to keep it from porpoising when you accelerate.

dated 5/17/2008 with three post, dout youll get an answer from him, start a new thread.

+1
    zydaglo posted a couple days ago, maybe it will help him.

Thread Information