Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Ride 2008

First Ride 2008

Well I braved the weather and cold rain with my full wetsuit and put the Pro through the paces. A wooping 58 degrees today, but it was well worth it . I literally almost ate a bird at about 60 MPH. One of those little purple martins . I think I saw his poop hole he was so close to my face, not kidding.

Two questions, what should she be running at a little more than 3/4 throttle as far as RPMs? I never hit more than 6000-6200.

Second question, which is going to seem stupid to ask, but at the end she started to make a noise and wanted to stall a little bit, actually did once, but it was a grinding rubbing sound, really loud out of the water on the trailer, sounds like its coming from the pump, makes it even as you crank it to start. I don't think I sucked anything in as I was in deep water. Not to specific I know, but any thoughts on a screetching noise and stalling. Once back on the trailer it still had tons of power as I gave her the juice and she wanted to leap off the trailer and was actually pushing the SUV forward a little. Does this sound like a pump bearing issue? Just interested in where to start.
    Last edited by ShaneG; 05-17-2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling

is there a grease zerk on your pump?

Well tore it apart and chatted with regard32 (chris) and tried turing the drive shaft by hand, no luck moving it at all. Pulled the pump and drive shaft out and the cone had half a cup of water in it . The bearings are shot I'm afraid. I have the service manual but does anyone know of a good place to get new bearings and seals from?

+1
    The Polaris pumps sound like a box of rocks out of the water. If you are worried pull the pump and check the condition.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneG View Post
    ...Second question, which is going to seem stupid to ask, but at the end she started to make a noise and wanted to stall a little bit, actually did once, but it was a grinding rubbing sound, really loud out of the water on the trailer, sounds like its coming from the pump, makes it even as you crank it to start.
    I don't think I sucked anything in as I was in deep water.
    Not to specific I know, but any thoughts on a screeching noise and stalling.
    ...Does this sound like a pump bearing issue? Just interested in where to start.
    It does sound like the pump bearings.

It could possibly (but less likely) be the through hull assembly (which you greased recently using the grease nipple, correct?).

Take the spark plugs out, and turn the engine over by hand using the drive shaft coupler (remove the cover to get your hand around it). If you hear or feel a grinding noise from the pump or drive shaft, you need to investigate what/where it is coming from, and fix it.

Do not ride again it until you identify/fix this problem.
    Edit: Too slow with my post, oh well...
    Last edited by K447; 05-17-2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Through hull assembly, not bearings

+1
    The thru-Hull has no bearings it has bushings and seals.

Idea on parts needed? Babbits on line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pro Pump.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	73396  

pump bearings

Presuming the pro uses the same pump as all the others, you can get the bearings and seal from a bearing house. They do not have to be from a pwc part dealer. See here.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...5&postcount=19

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    The thru-Hull has no bearings it has bushings and seals.
    Technically I think they are still considered as bearings in the thru-hull seal.
    I change 2 types of motors as far as bearings go. One is a ball bearing type, and the other is a sleeve bearing type. The sleeve bearing can be considered as a bronze bushing (I would understand the description), but still a bearing none the less. It is made out of bronze isn't it?

Well the 4 inch extesnion is mated to the stator so hopefully I can change out the bearings with it in the way. After the drive shaft came out I could shake it up and down and hear the pieces rattling around took the impeller off and stub shaft lots of broken pieces inside and more water.

Where or how did all the water get in there? I think I am missing the rubber o ring that goes on the end of the drive shaft before the impeller.

I tell you its a god awful noise when those bearings go . No wonder why the engine wanted to stall, that drive shaft would not turn the impeller by hand, even out of the hull, it was like a welded piece.
    Last edited by ShaneG; 05-17-2008 at 09:24 PM. Reason: incomplete thoughts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information