gp1300r starting problem (help please)

My ski was running fine yesterday but when i went to start it today it just wont fire up i have checked the battery and it is fine. The only thing that i noticed different about it is a sound like the bilge pump turning on when i try to start the ski. any help is appreciated thanks
    It is giving me fault codes 48 (incorrect data transmission)and 65(cooling water temperature sensor) can anyone tell me how i can fix these two problems?? Thanks
    Last edited by Markb47; 05-18-2008 at 01:12 PM. Reason: more info

Cool Geoff

firstly check if your throttle is returning all the back to it's rest position,that is in the motor by the throttle bodies. the throttle bodies have a tendancy to stick slightly open causing a starting problem. secondly your water temp sender at the rear of the exhaust in the motor compartment if that sensor is faulty or disconnected the ski wont start. good luck.

Thanks geof just checked the throttle and it is returning to its rest position. Is the sensor bolted onto the exhaust below the flush fitting? if so i checked that and the cable seemed to be worn away so i cut it and pieced it together again but it is still throwing up the same two faults is there anything else it could be??

i just had the same problem, if the small temp sensor that need to be below flush fitting is not plug in the CDI, ull have a warning beep and ur engine wont start, u can unplug one spark plug and check if there is a spark when u try to turn on the engine.

does anyone else have any ideas??

does it turn over or nothing at all?

even when you tap the starter the bilge will switch on for a sec then go off.

try checking the battery lead connections to the starter..
    check fuses..

I changed the temperature sensor today for a new one and the ski started first try!! thanks for the help people

Hi....I'm having similar issues with my GP1300R (2003 Model). I have no spark at any of the HT leads. All plugs are new etc etc. I checked the tilt/incline swith & this was fine.
    I slackened the throttle cable right off at the handlebar end & then I got a long screwdriver & placed it between the exhaust & cylinder on the right hand side. I then pushed down gently on the throttle mechanism/wheel & it moved down significantly.....suggesting that it was sticking somewhat upwards or open & not returning to its full downwards position.
    By doing this returned a healthy spark on all 3 HT leads & once the Spark Plugs were refitted the motor fired straight up.
    I started & stopped the ski 8 or 10 times & all seemed perfect but then I tried starting the ski once again & it wouldnt have it yet again....NO SPARK
    I was able to squeeze my arm between the right hand side cylinder wall & exhaust & I could feel what I believe to be the TPS....I could feel a lever or rocker mechanism on the underside. Its a black switch & fixed to the fuel rail bracket by two tiny torx screws....think I'm looking at the right thing here guys ???
    Anyway....its not working again for some strange reason but I'm convinced that it is something to do with this sensor/switch ?
    Any ideas how to replace/bypass/check it. Raelly difficult to get at this one too so was just wondering if the whole or part exhaust system should be removed ?
    Food for thought
    Many thanks

Bruce....did you check the tilt/incline switch ? I hear they can go faulty or fall of their mounting bracket. You should find the switch in the front nose next to the ECM unit. It is held by two nyloc nuts.
    Best check it out matey because its an easy one to get to
    Regards
    Wayne

Thread Information