94 sl 750 project

ok well ive searched quit a bit on this forum for a while now i guess thats what happens when you own a 750. ok well heres the deal someone gave me a 94 sl750 i already have 2 others and have worked on them quite a bit.

The problem:
    It wont start...compression is good, gettig fuel. but seems as though water is somehow getting into the cylinder head not letting the spark plug fire. its converted to premix and i pulled the head and housing off to take a look inside the crank and it looks like there is a little bit of chocolate milk type substance (water/oil im guessing) doesnt seem to have any rust in it.
    i was wondering how do i get it out there i figured i could just put a little hose and blow air over the top to suction it out but didnt know if there was a trick to it.

after i get it all out what kind of oil do i put back in the crankcase? how much?

any other suggestions?

+1
    webster, WELCOME to the GREENHULK Forums!!

The oil lubrication the engine gets is what gets mixed with the fuel.
    What oil/fuel ratio are you using?
    How much liquid is in the bottom of the engine? If it's over the port opening for the pulse line the fuel pump is probably not working. Have a photo??

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bwebster84 View Post
    ...94 sl750, I already have 2 others and have worked on them quite a bit.

The problem:
    ...water is somehow getting into the cylinder head not letting the spark plug fire.
    ...looks like there is a little bit of chocolate milk type substance (water/oil I'm guessing) doesn't seem to have any rust in it.

...how do i get it out of there. i figured i could just put a little hose and blow air over the top to suction it out but didn't know if there was a trick to it.

after i get it all out what kind of oil do i put back in the crankcase?...
    Welcome to the Hulk!

How long has that water been in the crankcase?
    How much water?
    Was the engine submerged?

These are 2-stroke engines. There is no liquid oil reservoir in the crankcase, just the remnants from the gas+oil intake mixture that is pumped through the engine into the combustion chamber, where it is all burned.

The oil vapors in the crankcase are there to lubricate the roller bearings in both ends of each connecting rod, and the crankshaft main bearings. These bearings are steel, and they WILL rust if exposed to significant moisture for a length of time.

If there is rust, it won't be visible in the milky water+oil, it will be inside the bearings, and on the steel crank and rod surfaces.

If the bearings are even slightly rusted, the crankshaft should come out and be rebuilt.

If it has rust in the bearings, and you continue to run the engine, the bearings will fail, and possibly cause major damage to the rods and crankcase. On top of the damage, you will be stranded on the water, wherever youhappen to be when it lets go.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk bweb.

There are drain bolts on the bottom of the engine case. I believe they are on the exhaust side.

Have you checked for spark?

If there's water inside the engine, maybe it was submerged. If so, then there may be water inside the stator cover.

oh wow looks like i got myself into a little more than i expected...got all of the water/chocolate milk out there really was not that much in there 4-5 table spoons i would say, but its been in there for probably a year and a half the ski was submerged at one point
    it is getting spark i plugged a tester on it could it be the fuel pump?
    i pulled off all the cylinder heads housings and sprayed a bottle of wd-40 and got all of that out as well

is there any way to avoid taking the engine out? i work 2 jobs and go to school full time so the cheaper solution the better! hahaha

it seems like every 4-5 rides these things keep crapping out on me. i have had 2 of them for 8 years now. Ive sold the dirtbike, 4wheelers, and the motorcycle to get through school but i would like to hang on to these as the last of my toys hahaha

i will try and get some pictures on here tomorrow.

Thread Information