98 GSXL question

Guys I got this from another postand wanted some advise.

Run the 98 on the trailer with the hood open because 95% of 951 motors need pistons. They water ingest really easy and are easy to hear and even if you remove the rave valves you wont see the seizer because it will be on the back side of the piston where you cant see it with out pulling the cylinders. If it is the motor will have a super load knock and you will hear it right away. I wouldent worried about the 97 because that 800 motor is alot tougher but I would still check it over. Just my experience from working on them for 15 years.

I am pretty sure my GSXL has this exact noise from the engine. Should I tear the whole thing out and go through it all or should I replace the pistons and just tear down the top end. I rode it today it seems to go good just the noise at idle and just above.

Nobody?

Banned User
    +1
    Idle and just above idle? sounds familar...

Here's a question, the pump has probably been off a few times...Is the rubber tip on the end of the driveshaft still there? AND has the driveshaft ever been out? If so, is the rubber tip on THAT end too? If either are gone then the shaft will bounce forward/backward, and that will make noise...

When I rebuilt my motor on my 99 GSXL, the driveshaft came out, and when it went back in I forgot to install the rubber tip on both ends...it knocked like a BEYOTCH...was trying to figure it out when one day while cleaning my toolbox I found both of them in a small compartment, when "WTF are the...OH YEAH".......Reinstalled them, knock went away.

Cool gives me something to check. It seems to run very well

you can sort of see if its had some sort of seizure on the other side through the raves by putting the piston at bdc and check the bore on the othe side

I will check that sounds pretty easy and I have to replace all fuel lines clean rave valves anyway.

Another question I have is the fuel selector valve. Can I clean it should I just replace it? Should I eliminate it all together?

Thread Information